One day, a follower of wisdom who was seeking approval came to the old master.

He spoke to the old master, "I follow the wisdom of my elders and I practice charity towards my fellow man. I find it a joyful experience. For every copper I share and every problem I resolve I receive ten-fold satisfaction and contentment for my labors. Is that not the peace for which we seek?"

And the old master walloped him, very hard, on the head and sent him out to work on it.

Another day, a follower of wisdom came to the old master in search of advice.

He spoke to the old master, "I follow the wisdom of my elders and I practice charity towards my fellow man. It is a difficult and unrewarding experience. For every copper I share and every problem I resolve I receive nothing but dependency, responsibility or surly thanklessness. I persist, though, as I know it is my duty and will bring me peace."

And the old master struck the man, very smartly, on the ear and sent him out to work on it.

A student, seeing these displays, came before the old master seeking enlightenment.

The old master spoke, "Charity is neither privilege nor duty. Wisdom is simply doing what must be done."

The student, enlightened, laid a good one right upside the old fraud's head and went out to find something else to do.