A Book of Daylogs

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions."—William Shakespeare

There are times when it seems like the universe is coming to an end. Tragedies pile up, one upon another until the world seems so bleak that we wish the ground would just open and swallow us.

So it was in September of 2001, when the Everything2 community lost a dear friend and beloved contributor. Immediately thereafter, while the people of this community were reeling, trying to cope with this loss—the United States suffered a terrifying, humiliating, and deeply painful blow as angry extremists employed hijacked jetliners to destructive purposes, turning the world upside down in the space of a single morning.

dscotese and swankivy, in association with the gang at Litmocracy have memorialized these events in the words of noders. It is a fine piece of work—daylogs, many from some of our familiar friends such as Jet-Poop, wertperch, and graceness, all arranged chronologically as they appeared on the site. These are powerful and affecting words: angry, sad, horrified, bewildered, sweet...many voices come together with over thirty noders' works represented in this book.

The book is printed by Lulu.com (print on demand site), and the production values are high. Editing and layout are very good (hats off to the production team) and the book is quite tasteful. A slim, good-looking piece with 58 pages, priced at $10 (profits go to Everything—see dscotese's writeup).

While it may have little appeal outside the community of noders, I think the book serves as a nice memorial to a time when the world came unglued. All the words in here are things you could read on the site, but I enjoy having something tangible as a momento of our community (back before I was a part of it—just another lurker). My copy of Everything2 Remembers September 11, 2001 sits on my shelf next to my issue of E2SENCE.

"This book is dedicated to Hermetic"