Redemption.

This is for the time in 6th grade when a boy told me that I was ugly. This is for those 8th grade dances where they would start the slow-dance music and I would wander around and act as if I didn't care that nobody asked me to dance. For being the token nerd at a stuck-up prep school in a herd of well-meaning ice-blonde Vandy-applying wannabe-model 'friends'. For being ridiculed for holding a lifetime membership to the Chess Club of Pittsburgh, USCF be damned.

On to the story: a few days ago I got a call back from a woman I talked to a long, long time ago, who, when she last tried to rope me in, said that I walked funny. So she called my old number, got forwarded to my new one, and told me that they needed an Asian woman for Nike's new national advertising campaign (print ads, no walking). $1,000 per day of shooting, which should help with the tuition.

Thus being appropriately random. I'm not sure if i'm going to actually get it, I still have to go see the casting director one more time.

So this is redemption for all the people who say that women rowers are manly, this is for the TRRA coach who told me that I was too skinny to row, the other coach who told me I was too top heavy to cox, this is for the 35,000 calories I erged and ran and starved off in the interest of a really fast boat. This is for everybody who believes that applied mathematicians can never be conventionally good-looking, and all of those bitter people who believe that pretty girls are always going to be idiots.

People have said a great deal about the sentiment I'm trying to convey, but this time it's quantified, backed up in cold, hard cash. This is throwing the 'you're-not-good-enough' pop culture back in its own face.

It's not really as important as acing these finals or as winning Royal Henleys or finishing that interminable finite element bible in time for my thesis. But nonetheless, it's sweet, sweet, revenge.