So. I'm going to start with the Merriam Webster definition of Phobia which is twofold, The first being an exaggerated fear of something. The second is intolerance or aversion for something such as in fatphobia.

That claim of fatphobia is going to be supported by studies such as this showing that obese patients have their legitimate medical concerns dismissed as being related to their weight without any actual evidence or testing by doctors. Additionally there is evidence of hiring discrimination.

The middle is going to be about how amongst those who treat addicts of any kind generally agree that anger and shame help no one and is actively counter-productive.

A small sidebar about how every movement is going to have an extreme wing. And that by and large the body acceptance/positivity/neutral movement is mostly about encouraging people to like themselves as themselves and not about convincing people that 100% of the time being fat is healthy. Segway to the point that convincing people to improve or fix something is easier if they like that thing.

A mention that the body acceptance/positivity/neutral "movement" is incredibly recent but the prior and current stigma against it did little to curb numbers as possibly it did with drinking and smoking.

An additional section about how in the US especially it can be difficult to eat/be healthy due to limitations of income and time to buy/prepare healthier foods as well as exercise. Considered relevant as the body acceptance/positivity/neutral movement originated in the US. A superfluous section about how the US healthcare system sucks.

Ending with congratulations for anyone who is seeing progress toward their weightloss but a reminder the attitude "I did it so everyone should be able to do it." is classic Survivorship bias. And that as with most things but especially when dealing the personal health YMMV.


*Small footnote that as a trained flutist Lizzo's playing is almost certainly not tuneless.