One who nitpicks. A nitpicker takes great pleasure in pointing out mistakes in a movie, TV show, piece of writing, anything creative that involves consistency and logic. Habitual nitpickers are often very fastidious and sometimes truly anal-retentive, though not always. Nitpickers make excellent editors and proofreaders. Nitpickers are frequently a target of humor from the more laid-back of us. During one episode of The Simpsons, Lucy Lawless talks with rabid Xena fans. The nerdy fans claim that between shots, a horse changes breeds. To hastily settle the matter, Lucy Lawless claims that "A wizard did it." This is an example of a continuity nitpick, as opposed to the more substantial plot nitpick or arcane technical nitpick.

Technical nitpick: a nitpicker would notice that in Star Wars, on C-3P0's head, while he was within the Ewok village being treated as a God, the reflection map on his chrome dome is inconsistent with what one would expect in a sunny forest. The reflections seem to show, in fact, that the light there is a actually a grid of high-power studio lighting, not a single specular highlight representing the sun of Endor.

Nitpickers love to compile the errors they spot. The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek is a must have compendium for the nitpicking Trekkie. Nitpickers are also called continuity fascists by some people, but 'nitpicker' is a more widely used term.

The word 'nitpicker' derives from picking nits, or the eggs of lice from hair. It's an exacting, tedious task.