One who nitpicks. A nitpicker takes great pleasure in pointing out mistakes in a movie, TV show, piece of writing, anything creative that involves consistency and logic. Habitual nitpickers are often very fastidious and sometimes truly anal-retentive, though not always. Nitpickers make excellent editors and proofreaders. Nitpickers are frequently a target of humor from the more laid-back of us. During one episode of The Simpsons, Lucy Lawless talks with rabid Xena fans. The nerdy fans claim that between shots, a horse changes breeds. To hastily settle the matter, Lucy Lawless claims that "A wizard did it." This is an example of a continuity nitpick, as opposed to the more substantial plot nitpick or arcane technical nitpick.

Technical nitpick: a nitpicker would notice that in Star Wars, on C-3P0's head, while he was within the Ewok village being treated as a God, the reflection map on his chrome dome is inconsistent with what one would expect in a sunny forest. The reflections seem to show, in fact, that the light there is a actually a grid of high-power studio lighting, not a single specular highlight representing the sun of Endor.

Nitpickers love to compile the errors they spot. The Nitpicker's Guide to Star Trek is a must have compendium for the nitpicking Trekkie. Nitpickers are also called continuity fascists by some people, but 'nitpicker' is a more widely used term.

The word 'nitpicker' derives from picking nits, or the eggs of lice from hair. It's an exacting, tedious task.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.