The diabolo originated in China as a children's toy and is now used by street performers and jugglers all over the world. The word 'diabolo' is thought to come from Classical Greek and means 'to throw across'. A modern diabolo consists of two plastic cups pointing outwards, connected by a metal axle: it looks a bit like an egg timer. They vary greatly in size, from about 5cm in diameter as children's toys, to 20cm in diameter for performances.

A diabolo is manipulated by keeping it spinning on a string fastened at both ends to two handsticks. The best analogy is to think of a diabolo as a yo-yo that is not confined to the string. Unlike many other circus skills, it does not take long to learn. Place the diabolo on the string and lower it so that it is touching the floor. Roll the diabolo along the floor from right to left so that it starts spinning anticlockwise, then try to lift it off the ground. Once the diabolo is airborne, keep jolting the right handstick up to increase its spin.

You may find that the diabolo has a tendency to tip forwards or backwards off the string: this can be corrected by moving the right handstick forwards or backwards.

Once the diabolo is spinning on the string, there are plenty of simple tricks to try.
  • The high toss: by lifting the handsticks up quickly and keeping the string taut, you can make the diabolo fly up in the air. It is easiest to catch the diabolo at one end of the string rather than in the middle. Most diabolos fly really well, and with practice it is possible to throw them to incredible heights.
  • Around the leg: lift one leg up and place it above the string and the diabolo. Throw the diabolo up to the right of the leg and catch in on the string to the left of the leg. Repeat several times to give the impression that the diabolo is encircling the leg.
  • Many involving winding and whipping the string, some of which can be used to increase the spin of the diabolo.
Once you've mastered the easy tricks, there are many more challenging moves to try, such as the one-handed catch, which involves catching a diabolo in mid air by whipping it with the handsticks.

Some people can even keep two diabolos going on the same string!