This soup first came into being when my mother took two of her favourite carrot soup recipes and combined them into one, I guess you could call franken-soup recipe. After I moved out on my own, she gave the recipe to me where I tampered with it further. I was going through a phase of veganizing all my food, so the milk and cream originally called for were replaced with a coconut milk/soy milk mixture.

The result? A thick, creamy carrot soup with a hint of curried parsnip flavour. I like to save it for cold winter days when the wind is blowing snowflakes in my face and my socks are wet with melted slush that fell inside my boots. Coming inside, I warm my hands with some hot chocolate and a reheated bowl of carrot soup. It would probably be nicer fresh off the stove, but I'm the main cook in this apartment so yeah. It's good reheated too.

Ingredients

NOTE: for a lower fat version, reduce the coconut milk and increase the milk. Just make sure it adds up to 1 1/2 cups.

Directions

In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add all remaining ingredients except the milks. Reduce heat and simmer 40-45 minutes, or until the onion and carrots are tender.

Remove from heat and blend mixture in food processor; return to saucepan. Reduce to low heat and stir in milks, heating until warm. Serve warm.

This is especially good served for lunch, or as part of a light dinner with bread and salad. But I won't tell you how to eat your carrot soup.

 

Enjoy!