I have, in the past, worked in a computer store. During that time we had varying degrees of disks available for sale. For the sake of interest, let us compare the cost to apearance of them.

  • Grey Floppies - 10 Pack w/ plastic case - $4.99
  • Black Floppies - 10 Pack w/ cardboard box - $5.49
  • Black Floppies - 10 Pack w/ plastic case - $5.99
  • Coloured Floppies - 10 Pack w/ cardboard box - $6.99
  • Coloured Floppies - 10 Pack w/ plastic case - $7.99
  • Translucent Coloured Floppies - 10 Pack w/ cardboard box - $7.99
  • Translucent Coloured Floppies - 10 Pack w/ plastic case - $8.99
Note: All floppy disks are of the same brand name.

The obvious price discrepancies aside, what I found amazing is the disks that people actually bought. I can see why someone might pay more for a nice plastic case than for a cheap cardboard box, but the most commonly sold disks were the translucent disks with the cheap cardboard box. I found this incredible! When you've decided to pay for coloured disks, you might as well drop the extra $1 and get a real case!

Even though I was recieving $1.00 from each sale of any sort of translucent disk, I still questioned people's decisions and tried to get them to make better use of their hard-earned money. "Buy cheaper disks, or at least get a plastic case," I told them, making the mistake of actually considering the best interests of my customers -- but to no avail. What can I say...

People are weird.