A "walk" is created for one's own masochistic pleasure by the following method:

  1. Sit at home (your place of work is not a good place to practice this fine art, unless you have a secluded office, or colleagues with a similar issue with insects) and watch the flies lazily buzzing around in circles in the middle of the room
  2. Ponder for a while on your latest E2 nodes, and wonder how they are faring without you there to tend and nurture them
  3. Remember back to reading something about a “walk” and how to create one of your very own
  4. Sit a while longer, watching the second hand on the clock tick away the seconds of your life
  5. Suddenly leap up from the couch and start chasing the flies about the room, until one gets stuck buzzing about on a window and you are able to catch it
  6. Carefully tear the wings off it and imagine it’s pitiful screams of terror and pain
  7. Place the ex-fly (now considered a “walk”) on a flat surface and watch it scurry about for a while
  8. Feed the “walk” to the cat
  9. Sit back down on the couch and look at the clock again to see that 2 minutes have passed since you last looked
  10. Sigh in satisfaction that you have mastered nature, and your superior intelligence proved why you are the master of the animal race on planet Earth
  11. Watch the remaining flies lazily buzzing around in circles in the middle of the room for a while.

A verb meaning to graduate. Origins unknown, but obviously a shortened version of "walk across the stage". I have heard it used only by college undergraduates. Ex.: "I walk in December."
Also carries connotations of "I walk out of this rat-infested seething pit of filth (in December)", depending on the tone of voice, the college, and one's major.
waldo = W = walk off the end of

walk n.,vt.

Traversal of a data structure, especially an array or linked-list data structure in core. See also codewalker, silly walk, clobber.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

walk...

...to the hallway where my low top shoes are and seize them...

...to the bathroom, but deciding I'd rather piss outside...

...to the kids' room, where my 8 year old mixed breed dog is holed up underneath the bunk bed...

...to the front door, snapping on his collar linked with the retractable leash...

...to the pitch black neighborhoods a few blocks over from the apartment...

...to the notion that we could walk until we're lost and find a way back with my GPS...

...to the mad thoughts swirling in my head, mostly of the house we may soon be renting in another state...

...to the sound of music in my earbuds, staring up dizzily at the 3AM sky filled with constellations...

...to the south, down a long dark road, with the lit steeple of Faith Church showing along an otherwise shadowy eastern horizon, proving my cardinal direction...

...to the point where I decide it's time to turn back around, unhooking the leash and letting my dog lead us back home.

Walk (w&asdd;k), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Walked (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Walking.] [OE. walken, probably from AS. wealcan to roll, turn, revolve, akin to D. walken to felt hats, to work a hat, G. walken to full, OHG. walchan to beat, to full, Icel. valka to roll, to stamp, Sw. valka to full, to roll, Dan. valke to full; cf. Skr. valg to spring; but cf. also AS. weallian to roam, ramble, G. wallen. &root;130.]

1.

To move along on foot; to advance by steps; to go on at a moderate pace; specifically, of two-legged creatures, to proceed at a slower or faster rate, but without running, or lifting one foot entirely before the other touches the ground.

At the end of twelve months, he walked in the palace of the kingdom of Babylon. Dan. iv. 29.

When Peter was come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. Matt. xiv. 29.

⇒ In the walk of quadrupeds, there are always two, and for a brief space there are three, feet on the ground at once, but never four.

2.

To move or go on the feet for exercise or amusement; to take one's exercise; to ramble.

3.

To be stirring; to be abroad; to go restlessly about; -- said of things or persons expected to remain quiet, as a sleeping person, or the spirit of a dead person; to go about as a somnambulist or a specter.

I have heard, but not believed, the spirits of the dead May walk again. Shak.

When was it she last walked? Shak.

4.

To be in motion; to act; to move; to wag.

[Obs.] "Her tongue did walk in foul reproach."

Spenser.

Do you think I'd walk in any plot? B. Jonson.

I heard a pen walking in the chimney behind the cloth. Latimer.

5.

To behave; to pursue a course of life; to conduct one's self.

We walk perversely with God, and he will walk crookedly toward us. Jer. Taylor.

6.

To move off; to depart.

[Obs. or Colloq.]

He will make their cows and garrans to walk. Spenser.

To walk in, to go in; to enter, as into a house. -- To walk after the flesh Script., to indulge sensual appetites, and to live in sin. Rom. viii. 1. -- To walk after the Spirit Script., to be guided by the counsels and influences of the Spirit, and by the word of God. Rom. viii. 1. -- To walk by faith Script., to live in the firm belief of the gospel and its promises, and to rely on Christ for salvation. 2 Cor. v. 7. -- To walk in darkness Script., to live in ignorance, error, and sin. 1 John i. 6. -- To walk in the flesh Script., to live this natural life, which is subject to infirmities and calamities. 2 Cor. x. 3. -- To walk in the light Script., to live in the practice of religion, and to enjoy its consolations. 1 John i. 7. -- To walk over, in racing, to go over a course at a walk; -- said of a horse when there is no other entry; hence, colloquially, to gain an easy victory in any contest.<-- = to win in a walk. --> -- To walk through the fire Script., to be exercised with severe afflictions. Isa. xliii. 2. -- To walk with God Script., to live in obedience to his commands, and have communion with him.

 

© Webster 1913.


Walk, v. t.

1.

To pass through, over, or upon; to traverse; to perambulate; as, to walk the streets.

As we walk our earthly round. Keble.

2.

To cause to walk; to lead, drive, or ride with a slow pace; as to walk one's horses.

" I will rather trust . . . a thief to walk my ambling gelding."

Shak.

3. [AS. wealcan to roll. See Walk to move on foot.]

To subject, as cloth or yarn, to the fulling process; to full.

[Obs. or Scot.]

To walk the plank, to walk off the plank into the water and be drowned; -- an expression derived from the practice of pirates who extended a plank from the side of a ship, and compelled those whom they would drown to walk off into the water; figuratively, to vacate an office by compulsion.

Bartlett.

 

© Webster 1913.


Walk, n.

1.

The act of walking, or moving on the feet with a slow pace; advance without running or leaping.

2.

The act of walking for recreation or exercise; as, a morning walk; an evening walk.

3.

Manner of walking; gait; step; as, we often know a person at a distance by his walk.

4.

That in or through which one walks; place or distance walked over; a place for walking; a path or avenue prepared for foot passengers, or for taking air and exercise; way; road; hence, a place or region in which animals may graze; place of wandering; range; as, a sheep walk.

A woody mountain . . . with goodliest trees Planted, with walks and bowers. Milton.

He had walk for a hundred sheep. Latimer.

Amid the sound of steps that beat The murmuring walks like rain. Bryant.

5.

A frequented track; habitual place of action; sphere; as, the walk of the historian.

The mountains are his walks. Sandys.

He opened a boundless walk for his imagination. Pope.

6.

Conduct; course of action; behavior.

7.

The route or district regularly served by a vender; as, a milkman's walk.

[Eng.]

 

© Webster 1913.


Walk (?), n.

1.

In coffee, coconut, and other plantations, the space between them.

2. (Sporting)

(a)

A place for keeping and training puppies.

(b)

An inclosed area of some extent to which a gamecock is confined to prepare him for fighting.

 

© Webster 1913


Walk, v. t.

1. (Sporting)

To put or keep (a puppy) in a walk; to train (puppies) in a walk. [Cant]

2.

To move in a manner likened to walking. [Colloq.]

She walked a spinning wheel into the house, making it use first one and then the other of its own spindling legs to achieve progression rather than lifting it by main force. C. E. Craddock.

To walk one's chalks, to make off; take French leave.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.