TOPS-20 = T = tourist information

tourist n.

1. [ITS] A guest on the system, especially one who generally logs in over a network from a remote location for comm mode, email, games, and other trivial purposes. One step below luser. ITS hackers often used to spell this turist, perhaps by some sort of tenuous analogy with luser (this usage may also have expressed the ITS culture's penchant for six-letterisms, and-or been some sort of tribute to Alan Turing). Compare twink, lurker, read-only user. 2. [IRC] An IRC user who goes from channel to channel without saying anything; see channel hopping.

--Jargon File, autonoded by rescdsk.

EDIT ME!
The Everyone Project.
Log in: "everyone" Password: "everyone"
First created by: rescdsk
Modified by: (nobody)

A character class in the excellent game Nethack. They start the game with a Camera, a blessed +0 Hawaiian Shirt, an uncursed credit card and lots of food.

Tourists:

People who take training classes just to get a vacation from their jobs.

"We had three serious students in the class; the rest were just tourists."

Tourists are often swallowed by alien cultures. They get lost because they don't speak the language, they are gullible and easily ripped off, they ignore local customs which can seriously tick off the locals. Once I saw a Brit severely beaten for failing to observe Muslim customs in a mosque. If you are a tourist, try not to look like a tourist. That will stave off much potential embarassment. That's all I can say.

Note: This is in regards to Asia. I'm sure Asian tourists in America act the same way.

Tour"ist (?), n.

One who makes a tour, or performs a journey in a circuit.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.