"This is for all the backpackers...the computer hackers...the video gamers...the deranged Krylon paint sprayers..."
- El-P, from the song "Offspring" on Del's Both Sides of the Brain
In another usage of the term, a backpacker is a dedicated hip-hop head. These backpackers, who can be found riding public transportation, walking down the street, and trespassing in industrial parks, carry their backpacks (or knapsacks) for many different reasons:
- Music - It's mandatory to have a large supply of tunes on one's person at all times, whether CD or tape (sadly, the Vinylman has yet to reach production as of this writing).
- Camera - You never know when you're gonna see some crazy shit out there. Benchers, of course, need a camera to catch flicks.
- Propaganda/reading material - Some people have a cause to promote; others just have a lot of long bus rides to kill time on (see: Music).
- Notebook/art supplies/graffiti implements - Whether legal or illegal, backpackers have a tendency to create, in words, sounds, or pictures. The creative muse must be indulged at the slightest notice...
- Clothing - When you're on your own two feet, the elements can really get to ya. A spare hoodie/jacket/coat is a must.
- Alcohol/weed - Bring the party with you...
Ideally, the backpack will contain everything necessary to conduct all possible activities; the aim of the backpacker is to carry their life on their shoulders.
See P_I's writeup for a little more along this vein...