Beat slang - to live by one's wits, not by a gig, usually prostitution or dealing drugs. Synonym: scuffle.

Also a disco dance, also to trick someone into making a bet against you in a game of skill when you initially trick them into believing that you are far worse at it than you actually are.

hustle : noun - a term from sports to describe a player's wholehearted given effort despite the situation.

If a player scrambles to get the ball and shows his/her true desire to win, the coach might say "nice hustle!"

If a team is losing, and they are therefore slow to run, making stupid mistakes and stopped giving 100%, a fan would say "this team has no hustle."

Hus"tle (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Hustled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Hustling (?).] [D. hustelen to shake, fr. husten to shake. Cf. Hotchpotch.]

To shake together in confusion; to push, jostle, or crowd rudely; to handle roughly; as, to hustle a person out of a room.

Macaulay.

 

© Webster 1913.


Hus"tle, v. i.

To push or crows; to force one's way; to move hustily and with confusion; a hurry.

Leaving the king, who had hustled along the floor with his dress worfully arrayed. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.