1. A severe beating. 2. A criminal act or plan. 3. Any injustice, fancied or real. "The rapper (complaintant) couldn't make (recognize) me, but the beef (charge) stuck. I sure got a deal."

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Deal
Lyrics: Robert Hunter
Music: Jerry Garcia

Reporduced with permissions: copyright Ice Nine Publishing




Since it costs a lot to win
And even more to lose
You and me bound to spend some time
Wondering what to choose

Goes to show, you don't ever know
Watch each card you pay and pay it slow
Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no

I've been gambling here abouts
For ten good solid years
If I told you all that went down
It would burn off both your ears


Goes to show, you don't ever know
Watch each card you pay and pay it slow
Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no

Since you poured the wine for me
And tightened up my shoes
I hate to see you sitting there
Composing lonesome blues

Goes to show, you don't ever know
Watch each card you pay and pay it slow
Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down, no, no

Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down
Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down
Wait until that deal come round
Don't you let that deal go down

------------------------------------------------
First performance: February 19, 1971 at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY.

Recordings by the Grateful Dead & JGB
studio 1972 Garcia (Jerry Garcia)
2 Sep 1972 Dick's Picks Vol 11
1 Oct 1980 Dead Set
19 Jul 1989 Downhill From Here (video)
1991 Jerry Garcia Band Live

Covers etc
1991 Deadicated (Dr John)
1993 Dead Ringers (Dead Ringers)
1998 Rollin' In The Hay (Renegade Bluegrass)
1999 Tie-Die Yippie Ki Yay (McEuen & Salazar)
2000 Pickin' On The Grateful Dead vol 2 (David West et al)



Deal, a municipal borough and sea-bathing place of England, in the E. of Kent. It has been one of the Cinque Ports since the 13th century. Of the three castles built by Henry VIII. in 1539, Deal Castle is the residence of its "captain"; Sandown Castle has been blown up as dangerous through the encroachment of the sea; and Walmer Castle is now the residence of the Warden of the Cinque Ports. It is supposed that Julius Caesar landed near here in 55 B.C.


Entry from Everybody's Cyclopedia, 1912.

Deal (?), n. [OE. del, deel, part, AS. dl; akin to OS. dl, D. & Dan. deel, G. theil, teil, Icel. deild, Sw. del, Goth. dails. . Cf. 3d Dole.]

1.

A part or portion; a share; hence, an indefinite quantity, degree, or extent, degree, or extent; as, a deal of time and trouble; a deal of cold.

Three tenth deals [parts of an ephah] of flour. Num. xv. 9.

As an object of science it [the Celtic genius] may count for a good deal . . . as a spiritual power. M. Arnold.

She was resolved to be a good deal more circumspect. W. Black.

It was formerly limited by some, every, never a, a thousand, etc.; as, some deal; but these are now obsolete or vulgar. In general, we now qualify the word with great or good, and often use it adverbially, by being understood; as, a great deal of time and pains; a great (or good) deal better or worse; that is, better by a great deal, or by a great part or difference.

2.

The process of dealing cards to the players; also, the portion disturbed.

The deal, the shuffle, and the cut. Swift.

3.

Distribution; apportionment.

[Colloq.]

4.

An arrangement to attain a desired result by a combination of interested parties; -- applied to stock speculations and political bargains.

[Slang]

5. [Prob. from D. deel a plank, threshing floor. See Thill.]

The division of a piece of timber made by sawing; a board or plank; particularly, a board or plank of fir or pine above seven inches in width, and exceeding six feet in length. If narrower than this, it is called a batten; if shorter, a deal end.

Whole deal is a general term for planking one and one half inches thick.

6.

Wood of the pine or fir; as, a floor of deal.

Deal tree, a fir tree.

Dr. Prior.

 

© Webster 1913.


Deal, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Dealt (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Dealing.] [OE. delen, AS. dlan, fr. dl share; akin to OS. dlian, D. deelen, G. theilen, teilen, Icel. deila, Sw. dela, Dan. dele, Goth. dailjan. See Deal, n.]

1.

To divide; to separate in portions; hence, to give in portions; to distribute; to bestow successively; -- sometimes with out.

Is not to deal thy bread to the hungry? Is. lviii. 7.

And Rome deals out her blessings and her gold. Tickell.

The nightly mallet deals resounding blows. Gay.

Hissing through the skies, the feathery deaths were dealt. Dryden.

2.

Specifically: To distribute, as cards, to the players at the commencement of a game; as, to deal the cards; to deal one a jack.

 

© Webster 1913.


Deal, v. i.

1.

To make distribution; to share out in portions, as cards to the players.

2.

To do a distributing or retailing business, as distinguished from that of a manufacturer or producer; to traffic; to trade; to do business; as, he deals in flour.

They buy and sell, they deal and traffic. South.

This is to drive to wholesale trade, when all other petty merchants deal but for parcels. Dr. H. More.

3.

To act as an intermediary in business or any affairs; to manage; to make arrangements; -- followed by between or with.

Sometimes he that deals between man and man, raiseth his own credit with both, by pretending greater interest than he hath in either. Bacon.

4.

To conduct one's self; to behave or act in any affair or towards any one; to treat.

If he will deal clearly and impartially, . . . he will acknowledge all this to be true. Tillotson.

5.

To contend (with); to treat (with), by way of opposition, check, or correction; as, he has turbulent passions to deal with.

To deal by, to treat, either well or ill; as, to deal well by servants. "Such an one deals not fairly by his own mind." Locke. -- To deal in. (a) To have to do with; to be engaged in; to practice; as, they deal in political matters. (b) To buy and sell; to furnish, as a retailer or wholesaler; as, they deal in fish. -- To deal with. (a) To treat in any manner; to use, whether well or ill; to have to do with; specifically, to trade with. "Dealing with witches." Shak. (b) To reprove solemnly; to expostulate with.

The deacons of his church, who, to use their own phrase, "dealt with him" on the sin of rejecting the aid which Providence so manifestly held out. Hawthorne.

Return . . . and I will deal well with thee. Gen. xxxii. 9.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.