Fry an egg. This is accomplished by breaking an egg or two onto a heated skillet with oil in it (I use canola, it's not as tasty as bacon grease but you should be blotting off the fat anyway). Add a pinch of salt. Put the fried egg(s) between two slices of bread or toast. Add a slice of cheese if you're really hungry. Eat. Fast, and better than it sounds. Also a good commuter/late for school breakfast.

Fried egg sandwiches are the ultimate comfort food. Homey, old fashioned, something your grandma used to make. Here's my favorite method of making one, the result of years of intensive research and experimentation. Oh, and also years of neglecting to shop for groceries so having to make do with what's the in refrigerator.

FRIED EGG SANDWICH
  • 2 eggs (yup, dont even think of a one egg fried egg sandwich)
  • 2 slices of cheddar cheese, REAL cheese please
  • 2 slices of good whole grain bread, the crunchier the better
  • sliced dill pickles
  • sauteed onions
  • mayonnaise and mustard

Fry the eggs. I dont care what you fry them in, just get it done and make sure you break the yolks so the eggs are nice and flat. Toast the bread and spread it with mayonnaise and mustard. Place the cheese between the two fried eggs and put it on the bread. Top with dill pickle slices and sauteed onions.

I beg to differ slightly with zgirll's recipe, which is not to say anything bad about her grandma but merely to suggest that there's more than one way to go about a fried egg sandwich. In my version, you can use as many eggs and as many or as few condiments as you want (these are optional, though I wouldn't dream of eating eggs without salt, but obviously the eggs are essential. Yeah, I know. Thank you Captain Obvious.). For the record, this is the one and only time I'll recommend tomato in any form with fried eggs: a few slices on the sandwich are a nice garnishy touch.

I suggest making your fried eggs sunny side up or over easy. If you prefer your yolks well-done, break them at this point (sigh! growing up, my family called these "messy eggs" and they were acknowledged as the failures they were) Otherwise, don't break the yolks until you go to put the eggs on the bread (and I do agree it should ideally be good crunchy bread). Let the bread soak up the runny goodness, and try not to let any drip on you when you eat your creation. Who needs mayonnaise when you have fresh, warm eggy goodness instead? Plus it's all the more incentive to eat quickly (this is a great, albeit messy, fast meal if you're craving something warm).

The Fried Egg Sandwich with green chili sauce (Tabasco brand) is perhaps the best breakfast one could ask for, especially if it is served on a split toasted croissant. There are many variations of the Fried Egg sandwich, one of the more notorious versions made its debut in the hit British TV show, Red Dwarf. What follows is a loose transcript of the event involving a fried egg sandwich with chili sauce and chutney.

Lister: (Hung over) You know what I want? A fried egg sandwich with chili sauce and chutney
Rimmer: (Still drunk) Me too.
Lister: Holly, give Rimmer a fried egg sandwich
Holly: A what?
Lister: With chili sauce and chutney
Rimmer: (Takes a big bite, spilling sauce everywhere; makes about 12 different faces)
Lister: Good isn't it?
Rimmer: I feel like I'm having a baby!
Lister: Yeah, the problem is you have to eat it before the bread dissolves.
Rimmer: It's amazing, how did you come up with it?
Lister: I forget, I think it was a book on bacteriological warfare

In my home when I was growing up, the fried egg sandwiches that my dad made were called a One-Eyed Sailor or a St. Paul sandwich. I have no idea where the latter name came from, but the former is obvious; Cyclops would have been even more appropriate.

This sandwich is made with exactly one egg (sorry, zgirl) and one piece of bread, nice and big. Lay the bread on a flat surface and, using an upturned drinking glass, drill into the middle, removing a bread disc. Throw the slice into the frying pan (preferably, as is the consensus, one that was just used to cook a batch of bacon (and then drained, of course), but hey, use PAM if you need to). Then crack an egg into the hole. Sorry fab, but you pretty much have to break the yolk and let it cook hard, since there won't be any bread underneath to perform the vital sopping duties. When it's cooked enough to make it practicable, quickly flip the bread so the other side of the egg can cook also. The particularly adroit among you may be able to slip the cut-out disc back into place and let the cooking egg weld it back onto the whole, but it's easier just to snack on it while the sandwich cooks.

Now enjoy, generally on a plate but you could eat it out of your hand if you cooked it thoroughly. We liked 'em simple, but were I of a mind to pursue it now, I might experiment with tossing some extras in with the egg, maybe a little bit of minced onion, or Tabasco sauce. There's not a lot of room to work with (for this part, you'd probably be thinking more along omelette lines rather than sandwich), so things like a tomato slice or avocado need to be saved for the next time you make one of the more conventional forms of a fried egg sandwich.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.