"Custom" is often also a slang term for "Custom-Made," which implies that an object is specifically designed for an individual -- typically, custom-made items are more expensive and of a higher quality than mass-produced ones.

Cus"tom (k?s"t?m), n. [OF. custume, costume, Anglo-Norman coustome, F. coutume, fr. (assumed) LL. consuetumen custom, habit, fr. L. consuetudo, -dinis, fr. consuescere to accustom, verb inchoative fr. consuere to be accustomed; con- + suere to be accustomed, pro originally, to make one's own, fr. the root of suus one's own; akin to E. so, adv. Cf. Consuetude, Costume.]

1.

Frequent repetition of the same act; way of acting common to many; ordinary manner; habitual practice; usage; method of doing or living.

And teach customs which are not lawful. Acts xvi. 21.

Moved beyong his custom, Gama said. Tennyson.

A custom More honored in the breach than the observance. Shak.

2.

Habitual buying of goods; practice of frequenting, as a shop, manufactory, etc., for making purchases or giving orders; business support.

Let him have your custom, but not your votes. Addison.

3. Law

Long-established practice, considered as unwritten law, and resting for authority on long consent; usage. See Usage, and Prescription.

Usage is a fact. Custom is a law. There can be no custom without usage, though there may be usage without custom.

Wharton.

4.

Familiar aquaintance; familiarity.

[Obs.]

Age can not wither her, nor custom stale Her infinite variety. Shak.

Custom of merchants, a system or code of customs by which affairs of commerce are regulated. -- General customs, those which extend over a state or kingdom. -- Particular customs, those which are limited to a city or district; as, the customs of London.

Syn. -- Practice; fashion. See Habit, and Usage.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cus"tom, v. t. [Cf. OF. costumer. Cf. Accustom.]

1.

To make familiar; to accustom.

[Obs.]

Gray.

2.

To supply with customers.

[Obs.]

Bacon.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cus"tom, v. i.

To have a custom.

[Obs.]

On a bridge he custometh to fight. Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cus"tom, n. [OF. coustume, F. coutume, tax, i. e., the usual tax. See 1st Custom.]

1 the customary toll,tax, or tribute.

Render, therefore, to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom. Rom. xiii. 7.

2. pl.

Duties or tolls imposed by law on commodities, imported or exported.

 

© Webster 1913.


Cus"tom, v. t.

To pay the customs of.

[Obs.]

Marlowe.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.