To explode, usually with a lot of noise. Usually involved in the item being destroyed. A lot of guys like to blow things up often.

Film Term:

An optical enlargement of a film from one gauge to another, such as 16mm up to 35mm. The opposite of a blow up is a Reduction Print.

Glossary of Film Terms - http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/
reprinted with permission

In professional wrestling terms, a wrestler "blows up" when he runs out of stamina.  This is obviously a very bad thing.  It can happen when someone gets flat-out tired, or more commonly when they overexert themselves--doing too many big moves in a short amount of time.

The opponent usually has to cover for the blown wrestler, since it's nearly impossible to do any complicated moves when you're huffing and puffing all over the place.  In particularly bad situations, you can even notice one wrestler literally dragging another through the match.

This obviously occurs most often to bigger and out of shape wrestlers, but some wrestlers who look fit enough simply have low endurance.  Most notably, Chris Jericho is known as being sloppy at times and has sometimes blown up just five minutes into a match.

Some of this is just a sign of the times, as they say.  Back in the '70s and early '80s, it was common for matches to go 30-45 minutes--sometimes even a full hour.  You can look at many classic Ric Flair and Ricky Steamboat matches, among many others, to see some quick evidence of that.  Nowadays, however, the format of a wrestling show has been adapted to meet TV requirements--since commercials have to air four times an hour, almost no match will go longer than ten minutes.  As a result, when wrestlers are called upon to do longer matches for Pay-Per-Views and other special cards, they're not used to it and don't have the stamina reserves they used to.

But, some guys are just old and fat and can't work.

blow past = B = BLT

blow up vi.

1. [scientific computation] To become unstable. Suggests that the computation is diverging so rapidly that it will soon overflow or at least go nonlinear. 2. Syn. blow out.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.