1 Tbs vegetable oil
1 ts mustard seeds
3 cardamom pods
1 ts coriander
1 ts cumin seeds
1 large onion, chopped
1 can chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
1 Tbs Garam Masala
1 Tbs hot curry powder (optional)
1 can unseasoned diced tomatoes, drained
- chop potatoes into bite sized pieces and boil until soft (about 15 minutes).
- in a skillet, heat oil until very hot.
- add mustard seeds, and cook until they start to pop.
- add cardamom, coriander and cumin seeds.
- turn heat down to medium-high.
- add chopped onion.
- when the onion turns golden, add undrained chick-peas and cooked potatoes.
- stir in garam masala and curry.
- cook uncovered 10 minutes on medium heat.
- add can of drained tomatoes
- simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
- add ground red pepper and salt to taste.
- serve over rice.
make a wonderful addition
to the dish
see also: lazy aloo chole