Why are socks so darn good?

Is it the warmth that they provide for your toes? Is it perhaps the protection they provide from attacking animals? Just maybe it's the way that they hug your foot like mommy used to hug you before she put you to bed. For me, none of these are the answer.

I'll tell you why!

I never thought much about socks. They were always there when I needed them, except when they disappeared, but I never realized how good a sock can make you feel. I guess my story starts before I was a noder. My dear friend Brassmule took me to visit the NYC noders one weekend and I was most fortunate to meet the friendliest group of people I have ever come accross in my travels. Everyone was so nice to me I just wanted to return the favor. I thought that I would never get my chance until it happened. brassmule, thefez, iDeath, and I were sitting in Wickernipple's living room talking about socks. thefez showed us that his peticular favorite kind of socks were the low cut, "ankle huggers". In the midst of a chuckel iDeath started to sing

"All my friends wear low riders"

Unfortunatly iDeath herself didn't have any clean socks and wouldn't until the next day when her laundry was done.

"iDeath doesn't have any clean socks." I thought to myself, "She would have had to walk about the City that never sleeps with no socks."

Then the idea hit me, like a punch in the face

"Ben, her feet won't make it, they will be blistered and torn, and the smell will wake up the dead. You should give her your extra socks."

Right away I knew it was the right thing to do, and besides this was my big chance to help out, to return the favor.

"iDeath" , I said, with an inquisitive look on my face, "I have an extra pair of socks, would you like them?"

There was nothing special or super excited about her return, simply,

"Sure Ben, thanks."

But I knew that on the inside she was glad to have them. She no longer had to fear sweaty, bad smelling feet at the end of the day.

I left New York feeling that I left a part of me behind. Although I knew it wasn't the socks, I couldn't quite put my finger on what I had left. When I got home and started to read Everything2 I soon realized what it was that I left in that city. What I left was something that I had actually found there. What I left was the kinship that I felt when I was with those great people. The way that even though I wasn't part of the community, they still took me in and even gave me a place to lay my head for the evening. Though they had never met me, they shared stories with me and made me laugh.

My trip to New York may not have been a memorable one for those that I met, however they left a lasting impression on me, and for that I am forever grateful.

Now it's January and not much has happened with me and E2. I have been invited to several E2 gatherings which I have regretfully had to decline because of one poor excuse or another. However my life was recently brightened by a message that I recieved from brassmule telling me that i have recieved a certain piece of noder mail from iDeath. She sent me socks. Socks to warm my feet and my heart. She returned the favor two fold as a matter of fact. Two delicious pairs of love, for me to put on my feet. I never knew that socks could be so darn good. I just thought I had to wear ones with out holes in them when I went to buy new shoes.

Guess I was wrong

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.