History:

The University of Evansville is a, well, university, located in Evansville, Indiana. It was founded in 1854 in Moores Hill, Indiana, and originally called Moores Hill Male and Female Collegiate Institute. The first building was finished in 1856. In 1907, the cornerstone for the second building was laid. In 1908, it was dedicated as Carnegie Hall, after the main donor, Andrew Carnegie.

In 1917, George S. Clifford made a presentation to the Indiana Conference of the Methodist Church. He realized that there were no colleges within a 50-mile radius of Evansville, and proposed moving the school there. In 1919, they decided to move the school to Evansville, and rename it as Evansville College. It became the University of Evansville in 1967, with the approval of the Indiana State Legislature.

The school is currently accredited for granting degrees by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Indiana Department of Public Instruction, University Senate of the United Methodist Church, National Association of Schools of Music, National League for Nursing, National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education for the preparation of elementary and secondary school teachers, and the American Physical Therapy Association. The civil engineering program, the computer engineering program, the electrical engineering program and the mechanical engineering program are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The Legal Paraprofessional Program is approved by the American Bar Association.

Enrollment Information

There are approximately 2600 students enrolled at the University of Evansville (as of 2001).

Incoming students will be expected to have completed the following during high school, or the equivalent: four years of English (grammar, literature and composition), two years of algebra, one year of geometry, one year of biology (with a lab), one year of chemistry (with a lab), one semester of US History, and one semester of world history. A student who is home schooled does not require a GED if the parent can give a clear explanation of the curriculum and show that it meets the above guidelines.

Students are required to either take the SAT or ACT test, and have their scores sent to the school. A recommendation from a guidance counselor is also required. Finally, three essay topics are offered, and the student must choose to complete one of them.

Other Information:

There are six different colleges/schools that make up the university. The College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Education and Health Sciences, the College of Engineering and Computer Science, the School of Business Administration, the International Institute, and the Center for Continuing Education.

UE has a sister school, Harlaxton College. Harlaxton is located in Grantham, England. Enrollment is usually about 180 undergrad students, with over 100 being from UE. Most of the students are sophomores or juniors. There are limited classes offered, due to the small size, so it often takes a little effort for a student to arrange their schedule to study at Harlaxton for a semester.

Location & Contact Information:
The University of Evansville
1800 Lincoln Ave.
Evansville, In. 47722

1-800-423-8633

http://www.evansville.edu

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.