A projective personality test published by Herman Rorschach in 1921. In the test, the subject is asked to interpret abstract, symmetrical inkblots. Because the stimulus is ambiguous, the respondent must impose his or her own structure on it. In doing so, thoughts, feelings and themes, some of which are unconscious, are projected into the material. The test is particularly used for detecting the types of disordered thought patterns seen in schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders.

In the modern psychiatric world, inkblot tests are scored by a computer which interprets your answers and returns its conclusions. Presumably, this is to prevent the psychiatrist from imposing his own personality and reality on the patient's answers. The doctors are, however, unwilling to allow anyone other than a graduate student or other researcher in psychiatry learn even the basics of how the computer grading works.

Some doctors use inkblot tests to aid diagnosis of patients who are considered too likely to skew more traditional tests. Tests which involve axes of results and multiple-choice questions, while easy to grade, also allow an intelligent patient who is paying attention to guess how their answers will be interpreted, and respond according to what they think a doctor would like to hear. Although most everyone is familiar with the idea that "seeing butterflies means you're healthy and seeing dead bodies mean's you're sick", it's very difficult to judge what seeing an alien or a building would mean. (I will note that even that little bit of information is not necessarily true; I have been informed by a psychiatrist who specialized in giving the test that a dead cat is a completely normal result for one of the classic ink blots.)

Rorschach tests are also frequently accompanied by other projective personality tests in order to gain a broader picture of the patient's mind.

A Seattle based band that incorporates the sounds of techno, industrial, metal, and punk. James Baker started Rorschach Test in the early 1990's. Baker, who graduated from seminary school and worked in a church, turned to music as an outlet to express his feelings after he was defrocked for heresy. While the artwork of the music itself could carry the band, the true shining star of their songs are the lyrics. Rorschach Test's songs allow the listener to truly relate to what Baker is trying to convey. All their songs are based on the politics, sex, crime, prejudice, and everything else that happens in the world around them.

Members:
James Baker (vocals)
Troee (programming/keyboards)
Aaron Slip (guitar)
Kris Cannella (guitar)
Jason Kowalski (drums)

Discography

1996-Debut independent CD "The Eleventh"

1998-"Unclean" released on Slipdisc Records.

2000-"Peace Minus One" released on E-magine Entertainment

*re-recorded for "Peace Minus One"

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.