*nix command to send files to the printer. To send standard input, specify - as one of the files.

lp (options) (files)

Options - there are lots and lots of these, read the man page by typing man lp
Examples
Send mail after printing five copies of star trek jokes: lp -n 5 -m star \trek \jokes
Format and print diaryfile; print title too: nroff -ms diaryfile | lp - title

LP refers to the Long Play mode in several video formats including VHS, SuperVHS, Video 8 and Hi-8. Using LP mode, also often referred to as "4 hour" mode in NTSC countries, you can store twice the normal amount of video content on a standard tape. This is achieved by slowing down the linear velocity of the tape to 50% that of the normal (SP) mode. With VHS this means 11.69 millimeters per second in LP mode for PAL and SECAM systems and 16.67 mm/s for NTSC. As the capacity used to store the video content is practically halved, the image and audio resolution is lower and the quality of the recorded material also degrades faster, especially on the PAL/SECAM systems which already have lower linear velocities to start with.

LP is a common acronym for loss prevention. LP officers have a tendency to be somewhat thuggish by nature, although most I have run into are surprisingly well educated. They perform the policing duties with regard to shoplifting and such when rent-a-cops or mercinaries are unavailable.

In terms of music, 'back in the day' a long-play record was one on which a full album was contained. Introduced in 1948 by Columbia Records, it played with a rotational speed of 33.3 rpm (revolutions per minute) and the use of very fine grooves could yield up to 30 minutes of playing time per side. Shortly afterwards, the RCA Corporation introduced the 45-rpm disc, which could play for up to 8 minutes per side. These were further categorised into EPs (extended play), which had two tracks per side and singles, which had one per side; an A-Side, a well known track and a lesser known, but not necessarily worse, B-Side (although some singles were billed as 'double' A-sides). These LP's and "singles" supplanted the heavy 78-rpm vinyl records of the 1950s, and stereophonic (or "stereo") systems, that contained two separate channels of information in a single groove, became a commercial reality in 1958. Stereo phonographs capable of the undistorted reproduction of sound then became one component of what is known today as a high-fidelity sound system, along with amplifiers et al.

As can be seen, much of the language (such as LP and EP) is still around today.

p.s. Records are superior to CDs (in my mind that is) due to the nice, warm fuzzy sound you get from a record that you can't from digital equipment (i.e CDs). Also, the larger size allows a greater space for cover artwork .

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.