Founder of Dischord Records, a label he formed to put out the music of his band Minor Threat and other bands in the DC punk scene. Currently a member of Fugazi along with Brendan Canty, Joe Lally, and Guy Picciotto. He is a prominent promulgator of the Straight Edge punk lifestyle, the tenets of which are as follows: Don't smoke, don't drink, don't fuck.

Former straight edge guru who now eschews the movement, which was originally intended to encourage people to question their actions, for the b.s. social movement it has grown into, characterized primarily by the total lack of individual thought in making decisions about such issues as sex and drugs (both socially acceptable and otherwise).

Also a very funny and engaging man as well as a talented musician. Frontman for Minor Threat, Fugazi and Pailhead. Founder of Dischord Records and occasional producer as well.

Ian MacKaye is also the best friend of Henry Rollins. In Rollins' autobiography "Get in the Van" he credits Ian with being the inspiration for Rollins joining Black Flag. Evidently Ian gave him a pep talk and told him to take this opportunity (to tour with the band) despite all of his worries about making the bills with his then crap ass job. Thus Ian is not only a respected punk deity in his own right he also is directly responsible for the man with the neck.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.