In Hinduism a venerated spiritual teacher, or acharya, who personally instructs and guides the disciple. In Tibetan Buddhism the guru embodies the Buddha himself and is correspondingly revered. In Sikhism, guru is the title of the first ten patriarchs (see Nanak).

Lead rapper for the group Gang-Starr. Name is an acronym for Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal.

Also in the group, among many others, is DJ Premier.

The wise maniacs in Montreal have found the ultimate in symbiotic harmony of mind and body, and put it in a can.
They call it Guru.
It consists of all natural fructose, ginseng and other rock-star herbs, and ofcourse, a hefty quantity of guarana, a lovely form of caffeine. (see also, oily brown water)

Side effects include bouncing off the walls.

If you're ever in the neighborhood, I urge you to try it. It is most titillating when served with ice and vodka.
The key to being a guru is to develop a few memorable counter-intuitive statements, e.g., "Avoiding risk is the biggest gamble of all."

If you have those, a touch of charisma, and reasonable skill with the Socratic method, you don't need any real expertise to build a reputation as a guru. Add a laptop with a portable projector, a laser pointer, and some skill with PowerPoint, and you can make a living as a professional guru.

When you achieve Tony Robbins-stature, you can get by on more cryptic statements, such as "Feel my skills, donkey donkey donkey, donkey donkey", or "Do or do not, there is no try".

When a living being has attained a certain advancement along a Path, a Divinely appointed Guru will be sent to ease the student out of remaining karmic debts. As one slowly learns to unblock and purify the channel flowing from the Divine into one's Self, the Divine will manifest in one's life in gradually more obvious and concrete ways--until materializing in the holy body of a Guru. You will recognize the Divine visitor on first sight, for student and Guru have met many times along the circular river of infinite time. When the Divine arrives, it is unambiguously familiar.

gurfle = G = guru meditation

guru n.

[Unix] An expert. Implies not only wizard skill but also a history of being a knowledge resource for others. Less often, used (with a qualifier) for other experts on other systems, as in `VMS guru'. See source of all good bits.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Guruji

Stray seeds on the ground
you could walk on
but if you stop long enough to look
this morning they become vines
entangled


If you stop long enough to breathe
Hanging through the fence
the vines become flowers
a smile welcoming
possibility


if you stop long enough to stretch
the flowers become pumpkins
the guru's gift

If you stop long enough to eat
your filth spread upon the ground
under the guru's watchful eye
becomes a garden

If you stop long enough to teach
worms inside men
drug from bottles
fed from the garden
wrapped in the guru's silken string
become butterflies

if you have stopped long enough to see
the guru's arms spread
to greet this morning's sun
become the trunk
of a familiar mango tree

Goo*roo", Gu*ru" (), n. [Hind. gur a spiritual parent or teacher, Skr. guru heavy, noble, venerable, teacher. Cf. Grief.]

A spiritual teacher, guide, or confessor amoung the Hindoos.

Malcom.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.