radiation emitted in one of the three types of natural radioactivity. It is the most energetic form of electromagnetic radiation, with a very short wavelength of less than 10−10 m. Gamma rays are essentially very energetic X-RAYS emitted by excited nuclei. They often accompany alpha or beta particles, because a nucleus emitting those particles may be left in an excited (higher-energy) state. Gamma-ray sources are used in medicine to treat cancer, for diagnostic purposes, and to sterilize equipment and supplies, in industry in the inspection of castings and welds, and in food processing to kill microorganisms and retard spoilage. Gamma radiation in large doeses even over time can be very harmful and even cause cancer and/or death.

A cult song by a German cult band, Birth Control. The LP version is 9'49'', but the legendary live version that made it cult, back in 1973, is supposedly as long as 20'58''. Think of this song as a worthy (and equally keyboard-heavy) successor to In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

The German True Metal outfit Gamma Ray (a Helloween spinoff) actually named themselves after this song.

A gamma ray was, originally, a photon emitted by a radioactive substance. This has been generalised by physicists to mean any high-energy photon. The energy of gamma rays is the highest of any in the defined electromagnetic spectrum of photon energies. The frequency of gamma ray photons ranges from 3*1019 Hz to 3*1021 Hz. In contrast, ordinary light photons have frequencies from 81*1013 Hz to 162*1013 Hz. Gamma ray frequencies are so large they're cumbersome to handle numerically, so the photon energy (usually in electronvolts) is used instead. In this scale, the frequency range above corresponds to an energy range from 124 keV to 12 MeV.

Other than radioactive decay, gamma rays can be produced by:

There are certainly others...

Since gamma rays have such high energy, they can participate in pair production, where the gamma ray spontaneously produces a particle and its anti-particle, imparting them with all of its energy. These particles are usually electrons and positrons. Often, these particles immediately collide (as they are either neutral or opposite charges) and produce another gamma ray!

Yes, there are entire university physics courses dealing with the behavior of photons.

There are at least three major uses of gamma rays. The most prominent is probably in radiation therapy for cancer treatment. The 'radiation' involved is almost always either gamma rays or high-intensity X-rays. They also have use in astronomy, as only the most energetic objects in the night sky radiate gamma rays in measurable quantities. The Compton Gamma Ray Observatory was the most important astronomica gamma ray instrument before it burned up in 2000. Finally, gamma rays are crucial in the study of subatomic physics, where many important reactions involve the emission of one or more gamma rays. Detecting these gamma rays can reveal important information about the processes that generated them.


(CC)
This writeup is copyright 2001-2004 D.G. Roberge and is released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial licence. Details can be found at http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nd-nc/2.0/ .

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.