Yummy sweet thing that you can eat. From the Dutch word koekje, which is a little 'cake'. In Dutch we have a very nice saying 'giving someone a Koekje van eigen deeg' (Just heard a very nice American saying 'the way the cookie crumbles'). Sometimes used to refer to an attractive woman or someones personality (a though cookie).

Also a small amount of data hidden in the HTTP header that gets entered into the Magic cookie file of your web browser.

Cookie is an alternative term for gobo. The term cookie is more often used in film than in theatre. See gobo for a full explaination.

Go back to theatre lighting terminology

Film Term:

A flat board, like a flag, but full of irregular holes used for creating a pattern of shadows when put in front of a light. Also called a gobo or a coocoloris.

Glossary of Film Terms - http://homepage.newschool.edu/~schlemoj/film_courses/glossary_of_film_terms/
reprinted with permission

i heard from an environmental science student the other day that this term can also refer to a cross-section of a tree trunk. when studying the effect of a recent ice storm on forest growth/regrowth, his job was to cut big old slices of tree for further analysis. the slices are called cookies.

cooked mode = C = cookie bear

cookie n.

A handle, transaction ID, or other token of agreement between cooperating programs. "I give him a packet, he gives me back a cookie." The claim check you get from a dry-cleaning shop is a perfect mundane example of a cookie; the only thing it's useful for is to relate a later transaction to this one (so you get the same clothes back). Syn. magic cookie; see also fortune cookie. Now mainstream in the specific sense of web-browser cookies.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Cook"ey, Cook"ie (?), n.

See Cooky.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.