Belial also known as Beliar. Belial's name is sometimes used as a synonym for Satan or the Antichrist, the epitome of evil. He is a fallen angel and one of Satan's most important and evil generals. Belial is deceptively beautiful in appearance and has a soft voice but is full of treachery, recklessness and lies. He is dediciated to creating wickedness and guilt in mankind, especially in the form of sexual perversions, fornication and lust. In the Old Testament, the phrase "sons of Belial" refers to worthlessness and recklessness.

Belial's name probably comes from the Hebrew term beli ya'al, which means "without worth." The ancient Hebrews believed that Belial was the next angel created after Lucifer and was evil from the start, being one of the first to rebel against God. After his fall from heaven he became the personification of evil. St. Paul considered him to be the chief of demons. According to lore, Belial danced before King Solomon, and was among the demons who worked under the king's command, ruled by Solomon's magical ring.

The demonologist Johann Weyer said that Belial commands eighty legions of demons and serves as infernal ambassador to Turkey. Medieval magicians believed that sacrifices and offerings were necessary to invoke him. Belial was reputed to break his promises to magicians, but those who managed to gain his true favor were handsomely rewarded.

Be"li*al (?), n. [Heb. beli ya'al; beli without + ya'al profit.]

An evil spirit; a wicked and unprincipled person; the personification of evil.

What concord hath Christ with Belial? 2 Cor. vi. 15.

A son (or man) of Belial, a worthless, wicked, or thoroughly depraved person. 1 Sam. ii. 12.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.