A "life form" in the anime Neon Genesis Evangelion, an Angel is a being that possesses the Fruit of Life and is a child of Adam. For most of the series the Angels are considered "The Enemy" of mankind.


A list of the angels featured in Neon Genesis Evangelion is as follows:

Format:
Number Angel: Name of Angel (What the angel is or represents).

  • 1st Angel: Adam
  • 2nd Angel: Lilith
  • 3rd Angel: Sachiel (water)
  • 4th Angel: Shamshel (day)
  • 5th Angel: Ramiel (thunder)
  • 6th Angel: Gaghiel (fish)
  • 7th Angel: Israfel (music)
  • 8th Angel: Sandalphon (embryo)
  • 9th Angel: Matarael (rain)
  • 10th Angel: Sahaquiel (sky)
  • 11th Angel: Ireul (fear)
  • 12th Angel: Leliel (night)
  • 13th Angel: Bardiel (hail)
  • 14th Angel: Zeruel (strength)
  • 15th Angel: Arael (bird)
  • 16th Angel: Armisael (womb)
  • 17th Angel: Tabris (free will)
  • 18th Angel: Lilim (humans)

    Numbers 1 and 2 are debatable, because Adam and Lilith are more "Sources of life" than Angels, they are included for continuity.

    The 18th Angel: The Lilim, humans, originated from the 2nd Angel: Lilith. All the other angels were spawned from the 1st Angel: Adam.

    The term Angels in this list is a general term that refers to both humans and real Angels. In the Redone Evangelion Episodes, SEELE talks to Kaoru Nagisa, about Lilith and Adam, saying "Lilith, progenitor of humanity - the false successors from the Black Moon... And Adam, progenitor of Angels - the true successors from the lost White Moon." Here the distinction is made between Adam and the Angels and Lilith and the Lilim (humanity).

    It is also interesting to note (and somewhat depressing as well) that in Neon Genesis Evangelion Human Beings are not the rightful inheritors of the Earth, the Angels are.


    (SHITO) Beings originated from the source of life called Adam (in Neon Genesis Evangelion). They take various sizes and shapes: from a giant octahedron to a minute Angel the size of bacteria, or even a "shadow" Angel without tangible form. Borrowing Kouzou Fuyutsuki's words in episode 26', it seems that Angels are beings which got the "Fruit of Life" whereas humanity got the "Fruit of Wisdom". In other words, "Angels" are another form of humankind with the same potential as humans. Thus, humans are the 18th Angel.

    Source: The End of Evangelion : Glossary contained within The End of Evangelion - Theatrical Program.

  • Angel is a Marvel Comics character, first appearing in X-Men #1.

    William Kenneth Worthington III started growing wings when he was in mid-adolescence. In several months the wings went from tiny nublets to their full span (sixteen feet, tip to tip). He found that his wings were extremely flexible, so he folded them and taped them under his clothes to avoid being persecuted by people prejudiced against mutants. One night, however, there was a fire in his college dorm room. Worthington donned a blonde wig and a nightshirt so everyone would think he was an angel, then used his ability to fly to save the people in the building. It was that night that he resolved to use his mutant powers to help people. Shortly thereafter, he was recruited to join the original X-Men team by Professor Charles Xavier.

    Worthington served as a member of the X-Men for several years, then went on to work with various other groups (Defenders, Champions, X-Factor). Angel was wounded in battle during his time with X-Factor, resulting in his wings becoming crippled and infected. Because of his injuries, doctors amputated Worthington's wings, effectively making him an ordinary human. The man fell into a deep depression. He changed his will, leaving his considerably vast fortune (inherited from his parents) to X-Factor, and set out to commit suicide. He would not be successful.

    Before he could kill himself, Angel was kidnapped by the mutant known as Apocalypse. Apocalypse used his vast genetic knowledge to cause Angel's wings to regrow in a new form. Whereas they had been made of bright, white feathers, they were now composed of an organic-metallic compound. As a result of the genetic manipulation, Angel's skin also became a nice shade of blue. Apocalypse didn't stop there; he wiped Worthington's mind and turned him into one of his personal assassins. Angel adopted the new name, Death. Eventually Death fought with X-Factor and was defeated. His defeat shocked him into regaining his free will and his memory, but he had suffered extensive psychological trauma. He flew off in a rage, and for several years he lived his life alone.

    When Worthington finally returned to X-Factor, he did so under the new name Archangel. Archangel retained all of the new strength and agility that Apokalypse's genetic manipulation had granted him, though, due to extensive damage caused by a battle with Sabertooth, the metallic make-up of his wings has been destroyed. He's back to the feathers. Archangel is currently a member of X-Factor.

    Buffy The Vampire Slayer Episode Guide

    Season 1, episode 7

    Angel

    Written by David Greenwalt
    Directed by Michael Schultz
    Original air date: April 14, 1997
    Episode #: 4V07

    Cast:
    Buffy Summers: Sarah Michelle Gellar
    Angel: David Boreanaz
    Xander Harris: Nicholas Brendon
    Willow Rosenberg: Alyson Hannigan
    Rupert Giles: Anthony Stewart Head
    Cordelia Chase: Charisma Carpenter
    Joyce Summers: Kristine Sutherland
    Darla: Julie Benz

    On her way home, Buffy is attacked by three vampires, who were sent to avenge the death of one of The Master's minions. When she's fighting them, Angel appears. They manage to get to Buffy's house, where they are safe from the vampires. Buffy treats Angel's wounds, and he spends the night at her place.

    The next day at school, Buffy tells Giles about the attackers, and he identifies them as warrior vampires. He insists that Buffy trains even harder, so she can fight them better. Later that day, Buffy meets up with Angel again, and they share a kiss. Only then she finds out he's a vampire.

    Later, Angel meets Darla. Darla was his lover hundreds of years earlier, and really doesn't like Angel spending time with Buffy. Giles finds out that Angel is a 240 year old vampire. He's been living alone in the U.S. for 80 years, and hasn't killed while he was there.

    Darla goes to Buffy's house, planning to kill her. Joyce, Buffy's mother, lets her in because Darla pretends to be a student from Buffy's school. She bites Joyce in the neck, just as Angel arrives. He tells her to let go of Joyce, and she throws her victim to Angel. Buffy comes home, sees Angel holding her mother, and assumes he has bitten her.

    Buffy now wants to kill Angel. When she confronts him, he tells her his soul had been restored by gypsies years ago, and that he regrets all the terrible things he did in his life. Darla sees them and tries to kill Buffy. Angel then fights Darla, and kills her. When The Master finds out that Darla, his favorite, has been killed, he goes berserk. The Annointed One comforts him.

    previous episode  next episode
    Index

    Angel the Series

    At the end of the third season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, David Boreanaz's character Angel, the hunky, brooding, vampire with a soul, left the town of Sunnydale, California, and the television show that took place in that mystical locale. Since, at the time, the WB was being kept alive by Buffy, the network was quite willing to give that show's creator, Joss Whedon, a second show on the network, a spinoff from the original goldmine.

    Thus, Angel the Series was born.

    In this show, Angel, with help from various friends and sidekicks, fights the forces of evil in the demon-infested city of Los Angeles. Aimed at a somewhat more adult audience than Buffy, it began its life as a detective show of sorts, with supernatural enemies, almost like The X-Files. Quickly, however, it manifested itself as a story-driven genre show, with season-length overarching storylines similar to those of its parent show. The show also maintains the humor, fine writing, and personable characters (as well as the strange lingo) of Buffy, lending the show a following bordering on obsession.

    Recently, after five years of incredible television, the show aired its last episode, Not Fade Away. The ending was sudden, surprising, and strangely satisfying. R.I.P.

    CHARACTERS

    Angel (David Boreanaz)
    Cursed by gypsies with a soul nearly 100 years ago, he's doing penance for his centuries of evil, atoning for his sin. For now, his atonement is taking place in Los Angeles, where he fights all things evil. He runs Angel Investigations whose motto is "We Help the Helpless."

    Doyle (Glenn Quinn)
    A half-demon prophet of sorts who gets visions from the Powers That Be, he is sent to LA to help find his place. Under his guidance, Angel forms Angel Investigations, discovers the power behind the evil of the city, and joins up with Cordelia.

    Cordelia Chase (Charisma Carpenter)
    Another character brought over from Buffy, Cordelia was the biggest snob in Sunnydale, a spoiled brat. During her senior year at Sunnydale High, however, her father lost all of his money in an income-tax scandal, and she was left penniless. After graduation, she (unable to afford college) moved to Los Angeles to try to break into the acting world, only to run into Angel and join his new agency in a secretarial position. Her maturation from self-absorbed pain-in-the-neck to serious force for good is one of the most interesting side-stories of the show.

    Wesley Wyndham-Price (Alexis Denisof)
    A former member of the Watcher's Council (like Rupert Giles from Buffy), Wesley enters the show as an incompetent, arrogant "rogue demon-hunter," barely able to walk up stairs, much less fight demons. Under the guidance of Angel, however, he develops quite a lot as a fighter. More importantly, his scholarly background leads to him being a fantastic researcher, as he can read hundreds of demon tongues. Often, it is only his knowledge that tells the gang what to fight, and where to fight it.

    Charles Gunn (J. August Richards)
    A strong, uneducated young black man who lives in the bad part of town, Gunn leads a crew, almost a gang, against the vampire menace in his neighborhood. Reluctantly joining with Angel on an important mission (even after losing his sister to vampires), he is impressed by his power and agrees to help him on subsequent cases, eventually becoming a trusted member of Angel's team.

    Lorne (Andy Hallet)
    Originally known only as "The Host," he runs Ceritas, a demon karaoke-bar that is a sanctuary from violence. More importantly, when his customers sing, Lorne is able to read their futures and help them along their path. Eventually, he gets tangled up in Angel's investigations and, his bar being destroyed, joins with Angel permanently.

    Winifred Burkle (Amy Acker)
    Called Fred, Angel first meets her in another dimension, where she has been forced to live as a slave for the last five years after accidentally being transported there from the Los Angeles public library. Angel rescues her from that place and gives her a place to stay while she slowly recovers from the trauma of that experience. Upon recovering, it becomes clear that Fred is a genius at physics and, by extension, the scientific aspects of mystical studies - areas that Wesley's more historical leanings have left bare in the team's research. Therefore, she stays with the group and does her own part in the fight against evil.

    Connor (Vincent Kartheiser)
    Connor should not exist. A child conceived by Angel with another vampire, he is completely, so far as anybody can tell, human. He spends about three episodes as a cute little baby, before various unfortunate events take him away from his father, only to magically reappear a few days later as a sixteen or seventeen-year-old young man. Raised by Angel's enemy with a hatred for his natural father, he sets out to kill him, and nearly succeeds several times, only to slowly learn to respect him and fight by his side - sometimes.

    Spike (James Marsters)
    After dying saving the world in the last episode of Buffy, this other vampire-with-a-soul magically reappears in Angel's office. Temporarily bound to Angel's location, he learns to like working in LA, so that when he is released from the binding, he doesn't leave. Spike and Angel never got along very well when they were both evil, and they don't get along very well now either - especially since both of them are (or have been) in love with Buffy Summers. Still, they are both champions, and will fight shoulder-to-shoulder against the forces of evil.

    Illyria (Amy Acker)
    An ancient demon, Illyria infects the body of Fred midway through Season Five, taking it over completely. Confused by the twenty-first century, she attaches to Wesley in order to assimilate herself a little better into the society she has entered. Her character had little time to develop before the end of the series, unfortunately, but hope remains for later appearances of this fascinating creature.

    Wolfram and Hart (Various)
    Not really a character so much as an organization, this law firm appears to be the earthly front for a trans-dimensional evil group. Their motives are often unclear - Angel is their enemy, but they often appear to deliberately want him to stay alive, and the reasons for that are never quite known. The concept of a continuous organized enemy, a force of evil that lasts throughout the five seasons of the show, is one completely unique to Angel (that is, it didn't exist in Buffy) and it adds a pleasant constancy to the conflict.

    FINAL STATEMENTS

    Buffy the Vampire Slayer is my favorite television show of all time, but in many ways I respect Angel more. This makes sense - I am still of the age where I have the mind of a young adult, which this show is designed to please, but the instincts of a teenager, the intended audience of Buffy. I think that both of these shows are light-years ahead of most television in writing, combining amazingly clever dialogue with fascinating stories and characters. If Buffy is a little too silly for your taste - try Angel. It was designed for you. If you adored Buffy, also try Angel - it maintains much of the magic of the former show, and adds a good bit of its own.

    An"gel (#), n. [AS. aeangel, engel, influenced by OF. angele, angle, F. ange. Both the AS. and the OF. words are from L. angelus, Gr. αγγελος messenger, a messenger of God, an angel.]

    1.

    A messenger.

    [R.]

    The dear good angel of the Spring, The nightingale. B. Jonson.

    2.

    A spiritual, celestial being, superior to man in power and intelligence. In the Scriptures the angels appear as God's messengers.

    O, welcome, pure-eyed Faith, white-handed Hope, Thou hovering angel, girt with golden wings. Milton.

    3.

    One of a class of "fallen angels;" an evil spirit; as, the devil and his angels.

    4.

    A minister or pastor of a church, as in the Seven Asiatic churches.

    [Archaic]

    Unto-the angel of the church of Ephesus write. Rev. ii. 1.

    5.

    Attendant spirit; genius; demon.

    Shak.

    6.

    An appellation given to a person supposed to be of angelic goodness or loveliness; a darling.

    When pain and anguish wring the brow. Sir W. Scott.

    7. Numis.

    An ancient gold coin of England, bearing the figure of the archangel Michael. It varied in value from 6s. 8d. to 10s.

    Amer. Cyc.

    Angel is sometimes used adjectively; as, angel grace; angel whiteness.

    Angel bed, a bed without posts. -- Angel fish. Zool. (a) A species of shark (Squatina angelus) from six to eight feet long, found on the coasts of Europe and North America. It takes its name from its pectoral fins, which are very large and extend horizontally like wings when spread. (b) One of several species of compressed, bright colored fishes warm seas, belonging to the family, Chaetodontidae. -- Angel gold, standard gold. [Obs.] Fuller. -- Angel shark. See Angel fish. -- Angel shot Mil., a kind of chain shot. -- Angel water, a perfumed liquid made at first chiefly from angelica; afterwards containing rose, myrtle, and orange-flower waters, with ambergris, etc. [Obs.]

     

    © Webster 1913.

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.