Be Here Now is a true icon of the Woodstock Generation—a “cookbook for a sacred life,” a “manual for conscious being.”

Originally circulated in pamphlet form by Lama Foundation, this sadhana, or life-work, of Dr. Richard Alpert, Ph.D into Baba Ram Dass was subsequently distributed (in a friendly 8”x8” paperback so you know you’ve really got something you can hold onto) by Crown Publishing, beginning in 1971. One half of the copyright now belongs to Hanuman Foundation, Ram Dass’s non-profit corporation to promote spiritual well-being.

________________

Yes, Dr. Richard Alpert took LSD, dropped out, and went to India for enlightenment and a name-change. He has also spent his entire life since March 6th,1961—the day he first ingested psilocybin—engaged in engaging us, his brothers and readers, in the parts of the spiritual quest “that never get written up in the mass media.”

Infinitely more than the saga of a former Harvard professor’s journey from LSD to God, Be Here Now is a book one grows into, as opposed to out of, as time goes by. Quite literally, it is a blueprint to a better life; and a better life is something that takes a lot of work.

Be Here Now defines the work, gives us the tools, and shows us how to do it.

If you’ve ever wanted to take psychedelics; if you’ve ever wondered what comes after drugs; if you have a feeling that God, or love, or harmony is missing from your life, then Be Here Now might be a book you should seek out. As its author so simply puts it in Part 3—the HARD part of the book:

COOKBOOK FOR A SACRED LIFE

Dedicated to those who wish to get on with it

INTRODUCTION

We offer this book with humility and a compassionate awareness of our own predicament—and yours. We are all on the journey towards enlightenment and at each stage must share what has been discovered with those who will listen. The sharing is part of the work. The listening is part of the work. We are all on the path.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step.”—Lao Tzu
BUT WHERE DO WE BEGIN? The answer is simple: you begin just where you are.
”If thou but settest foot on this path,
thou shalt see it everywhere...”
--Hermes Trismegistus.

Then you become aware of the inevitable process of the evolution of consciousness...that daily, slowly, the cloud of illusion becomes thinner and thinner...until, at last..there is light.

This manual concerns no more or no less than the living of daily life. At first you “do” sadhana (work on the spiritual path) within certain time and space boundaries, such as going to church on Sunday mornings, or getting high on Saturday nights, or meditation each morning. Eventually, it turns out that SADHANA IS EVERYTHING YOU DO.

”WARNING: if you don’t have room in your livingroom for an elephant—don’t make friends with the elephant trainer...”—Sufi mystic

This manual contains a wide variety of techniques. Everyone’s needs are different and everyone is at a different stage along the path. But, as with any recipe book, you choose what suits you. If you listen to your own inner voice, it will tell you where you are now, and which method will work best for you in your evolution towards the light.

”Who hath ears, let him hear.”—Jesus


Be Here Now, Dr. Richard Alpert, Ph.D into Baba Ram Dass.
Hanuman Foundation, Crown Publishing, New York, 1978

Be Here Now is the third album by British Rock Gods Oasis. Although 'Some Might Say' that it is crap, (and it is unarguably not as good as the stunning (What's the Story) Morning Glory? ) I think it's still a fine selection of music. YMMV. As there were no changes in the band line-up between What's the Story and this, I can't see why it should be any different.

The feel is still similar, with upbeat rock numbers like D'you know what I mean, I hope, I think, I know, and It's getting better, man, interspersed with some calmer, ballad like numbers. Harmonically and in terms of instrumentation, Oasis still owe a lot to the Beatles. However, Noel and Liam Gallagher's crooning style is very much their own.

Tracklist:

  1. D'You Know What I Mean
  2. My Big Mouth
  3. Magic Pie
  4. Stand By Me
  5. I Hope, I Think, I Know
  6. The Girl in The Dirty Shirt
  7. Fade In-Out
  8. Don't Go Away
  9. Be Here Now
  10. All Around The World
  11. It's Getting Better (Man!!)
  12. All Around The World (Reprise)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.