ARN, ESSA

Arlanda is the only major airport in Sweden. With 18,264,000 passengers annually, it's the largest airport in Norden. It is situated 40 kilometres north of Stockholm, between Stockholm and Uppsala. Two of Arlanda's three runways, 01L-19R and 08-26, were finished in 1959. A third runway, 01R-19L, was finished in 2002 and is currently awaiting approval from the authorities.

Arlanda has got four passenger terminals; 2, 3, 4, and 5 with a total of 55 gates and five freight terminals. Two of the terminals; 2 and 5 are international, and the other two are domestic. The terminals' naming scheme is quite strange, as terminal 5, which was opened in 1972 is the oldest one, and terminal 2 is the youngest one. The terminals are, however laid out in numerical order. (Terminal 2 is next to no. 3 and so on.)

Terminal 5 with piers A, B and F is the largest of the terminals and handles most of the passengers and traffic. Piers A and B were present in the original terminal, and pier F was finished in 2002.

Situated between terminals 4 and 5 is Sky City, a shopping centre, food court and definitely the most beautiful piece of architecture at the airport. The Arlanda C train station can also be accessed from Sky City by escalators and lifts.

Getting to and from Arlanda:
There are a number of ways to get to and from the airport. There are three preferred ones:

  • Taxi
    This is the fastest, most comfortable and sadly also the most expensive way of getting to and from Arlanda. Depending on where you're going it will cost you between 300 and 600 SEK. The fare from the airport will generally be lower than the fare to the airport.
  • Arlanda Express
    Arlanda Express is the express train service between Arlanda airport and the Stockholm central station. The trip takes about 20 minutes. A one-way ticket is 160 SEK and there is a number of special offers for seniors, students, children, etc.
  • Flygbussarna
    The cheapest of the preferred ways to get to and from Arlanda is Flygbussarna, the airport coaches. A trip to the city centre takes about 40 minutes and costs 80 SEK.
There are of course other ways, both for the incredibly poor (commuter train, sloooooow), and the incredibly rich (helicopter, fast).
If you are going by car, getting there is easy. All you have to do is to find the E4 and go north if you are in Stockholm and south if you are in Uppsala, then, signs will show you the way to the airport.

Arlanda's official homepage can be found at http://www.arlanda.com.

The following airlines fly to and from Arlanda:
Aeroflot
Aerosvit Airlines
Air Baltic
Air Bosna
Air Botnia
Air China
Air Europe
Air France
Air Malta
Austrian Airlines
Azzurra Air
Balkan Airlines
Belavia
Britannia Airways
British Airways
Condor
Croatian Airlines
CSA Czech Airlines
Danish Air Transport
Egyptair
Estonian Air
Euro Cypria Airways
European Executive Express
Falcon Air
Finnair
Goodjet
Iberia Airlines of Spain
Iceland Air
Iran Air
JAT Jugoslav Airlines
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Lithuanian Airlines
Lot Polish Airlines
Lufthansa
Luxair
Maersk Air
Malev Hungarian Airlines
Malmö Aviation
MD Airlines LTD
My Travel Airways
New Air
Nordic Airlink
Novair
Pegasus Air
Pulkovo
SAS Scandinavian Airlines
Skyways
Sn Brussels Airlines
Spanair
Sterling European
Swiss
Syrian Arab Airlines
Tap Air Portugal
Thai International
Transair Sweden
Travel Servis
Tunis Air
Turkish Airlines
Walt Air
Varig Brasilian Airlines
Wideroe
Värmlandsflyg

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.