As my girlfriend and I were leaving a production house, we were approached by two high school girls who had a large box filled with pre-packaged rice envelopes addressed to George Bush. We put the two bucks (though they wanted only $1.11) for postage in the jar, signed our names on a petition, and parted ways. Next morning (today), we were reading the Flagstaff, Arizona police logs, and ran across this:
A letter addressed to President Bush that was filled with rice as part of a national campaign against war with Iraq prompted an investigation Wednesday afternoon by Flagstaff police and a U.S. Postal Inspector bomb technician on the 2400 block of West Street.

A post office route carrier discovered a suspicious package in the course of his rounds and reported it to police. The officer noted the letter was heavy and felt like putty with "hard granules," the police report stated.

The letter, weighing about 8 ounces, aroused suspicions for the officer, who notified detectives and the federal bomb technician.

The envelope was X-rayed and found to contain a letter to the president and rice. The letter stated, "This rice is for your enemies. Please feed them." A verse of scripture was included.

The letter was believed to have started as an e-mail campaign originating from a Colorado church. The e-mail instructs:

"Place 1/2-cup uncooked rice in a small plastic bag. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Wrap it in a piece of paper on which you have written, 'If your enemies are hungry, feed them. Romans 12:20. Please send this rice to the people of Iraq; do not attack them.'"

Source: http://www.azdailysun.com