"Follow your bliss" was his lifelong motto.  Words to live by, my friends.  It was his conviction that if you followed this ethic austerely and truthfully, then the world (or at least your perception of it) would coincide to suit your needs and wants.  Naturally Campbell's seemingly temperate nature, popular accessibility and astounding wealth of knowledge led many to consider him a guru of sorts (re: Carl Sagan, Noam Chomsky, Ashley Montagu, Bertrand Russell).  The search for spiritual and symbolic significance was a recurrent theme within Campbell's works and he scrutinized the essence of myths and religion in his lifelong quest; his was a familiar and intimate pursuit, shared by countless readers and students.

One of my favorite stories of his (this is a paraphrase) comes from a personal account to Bill Moyers in "The Power of Myth."  He recounts a tale of attending a convention where a great many of the worlds religions are represented.  The administrators of the disparate religions are butting heads on all sorts of issues and can't seem to agree on anything, whereas those "spiritual" and "mystics" of the differing religions seemed to be on the same wavelength throughout the conference, evidently getting along perfectly without the need to express more than a few words to each other.  He implies that among the mystics there was a similar spiritual connection, something which they all understood and recognized regardless of their specific religion.

Among his more significant works: