After much procrastination on the part of myself and my family, we've decided upon a place where my father's ashes should be interred. This Friday, at ten in the morning, he'll be laid to rest in a lovely old cemetery that dates back to sometime before the civil war. My brother stumbled upon this place when getting ideas from the funeral director. We were astounded that there were still available plots for cremains.

The cemetery, when my brother and I were in our high school years, was a famed spot for the quiet partyers to go to drink, smoke, and generally hang out. Back then, it was surrounded by farmland. Now, enormous homes with pitifully small lots have been erected in those lovely old fields. Many of the stone walls which rambled around the hillsides have been removed; yet the cemetery's walls are intact.

No matter how hard I tried the Veterans' Administration couldn't find the personnel to do the firing of the guns nor the playing of taps. Nowadays, they're all deployed in the middle east. Perhaps that's better. The only thing I find troubling about it is that my father, in his last days, became more vocal about his service to his country during World War II than he ever had. Despite the horrors of war, he remembered his wartime comrades fondly. And he reiterated that although he thought war was a horrible thing, he was proud of his service.

A handful of his friends will be there to say final goodbyes. It's been six months since his passing, and I think that the initial shock of losing a guy we thought would live forever has worn off, and this will, hopefully, put a cap on the intense grieving; leaving the holes in our hearts to begin healing. I was delighted to hear that these friends would show up. Someone said something like, "There are friends, and there are friends who show up." It'll be delightful to have just the folks who show up around for this.

I'd like to think that dad's looking down upon us. My Buddhist sect believes in reincarnation; I, personally, am not so sure. I'm not really sure about much at all these days. I heard a baby crying in the restaurant and my wife said "that might be your daddy; that baby's only six months old." I wonder.

Just a day before he died, he spoke frankly with me about how he was at peace with death. I selfishly asked him to give me a sign, if he could, that he's okay wherever he is. "If I ask you for a fan you'll know where I am." He was funny right up to the last.

Mother, whose illness has been a burden on my brother, myself, and all who interact with her, has recently, to our amazement, shown signs of grieving. I hope her burden is lessened by the closure provided by this simple ceremony. My brother, an emotional coward, asked that dad's minister officiate. She couldn't; she'll be out of town. So I wrote a few words and offered to run them past him, but he said to just say what I need to say and "get it over with fast." Timed, my speech lasts 14:30. Fourteen minutes and thirty seconds; the distillation of 83 years on this earth.

Dad's funeral in September took an hour. Half of it was a polished, heavily-produced multi-media affair I put together from old family photos, movies and slides; and photos sourced from others. And his favorite tunes. It's a work of art I dedicated to him. Creating it was cathartic. There was no need for anyone to say much else. The rest was music; that's what he wanted.

This Friday, in the old cemetery, there will be no technology, no amplifiers, no microphones. There'll be no music, but for the wind rustling the leaves of the trees and the song of the birds. I think I'm gonna try to cut a few minutes off the speech, and let nature do the talking.