Besides being the popular Element above, Helium is also the name of a popular mp3 Tagger. For those of you unaware of what a tagger does, it aids you in creating/editing id3 tags. Id3 tags contain all the nifty information about the song, embedded in the file itself. Id3v1 was very simple as you could only put the Artist, Album, Title, Year, Genre, and a Comment. Id3v2 on the other hand has so many options, many very obscure like Payment URL Info.

Back on topic, Helium is a insanely useful tool to help you not only tag your respective files, but to also organize your files aswell. The tagging part of the program is incredibly flexible, it stores the names of artists and tracks so that you only have to type the first few letters in and it will do the rest. Or, if you want you can set it up to create the id3 tag from the filename.

After tagging it you can ask the program to rename the file to your specification, or make the list into a nifty html file, again fully customizable.

Another amazingly cool feature is the Database Explorer, it's for people who burn their mp3s onto cd's alot. If you have a couple of cd's full of mp3s you just put one in, let the program get the listing of the files, and then give the CD a easily recognizable name. Then, if you want to find "54 40 - Ocean Pearl" you just type that into the search box and it'll tell you what CD or CDs its on.

Helium is win32 only, :( It can be found at http://www.helium-mp3.com the demo version can only work with 10 files at a time, so registering is a good plan. If you get Helium, you'll probably also want to grab Argon, its a plugin for winamp that displays all the id3v2 info that winamp doesn't.