Probably the most common of the passenger car models that Volvo made.
A total of 2.8 million 240's were produced from 1974 to 1993. I have a 1991 sedan model. 240 wagons are also fairly common.
Key Events in the History of the Volvo 240
- c. 1971
- The Volvo Experimental Safety Car (VESC) is tested.
- The 24x series debuts, based largely on the VESC, with a modified suspension, rack and pinion steering, and an aluminum head engine.
- The US NHTSA (the highway regulatory safety board) adopts the 240 as the standard for auto safety.
- The 240 pioneers the first production Lambda Sond catalytic converter, which produced far cleaner exhaust emission that had previously been possible.
- The round headlights became rectangular.
- "Greenhouse" upper body window frames introduced.
- Now with asbestos-free brake and clutch pads. Hooray!
- Those funny-looking headrests were introduced.
- The last 240 rolled off the line.
Key Features of the 240
Some of the fun features include:
- Electrical seat heaters, aka ass warmers.
- An enormously over-powered heater unit - my car can get up to 150 degrees F.
- A car that is devoted to protecting your mushy, delicate self in a crash
Places other90percent's 240 has been