Aardwolf is the name of a popular Dungeons and Dragons-style, ROM based Multi User Dungeon. It has been in existence for about 4 years. By Dungeons and Dragons, I do not mean to imply that it is based on that gaming system. I only mean that is a roleplaying game system wherein you build your character through combat, the completion of quests, solving puzzles, and other such stuff. Although, some areas of Aardwolf have a fantasy role playing game feel, others are just out there. There is even an area set up like Star Trek: The Next Generation. It is a marvelous time waster.

You character can be one of several races: Human, Dwarf, Elf, Giant, Halfling, Troll, Sprite, Quickling, Half-Griffon, Dark Elf, Centaur, Vampire, Wolfen, Ratling, Diva, Shadow, Triton, Lizard, and Eldar. Humans are the vanilla species, and the others have their own advantages and disadvantages. For instance, halflings make excellent thieves due to their inherent stealth, whereas vampires are extremely strong and heal quickly. Vampires, though, are nearly helpless during the day.

Your character must be one of several classes: Warrior, Thief, Cleric, Mage, Psionic, Paladin, and Ranger. Again, each class has its own strengths and weaknesses. For instance, the spell casting classes (Mage, Cleric, Psionic) are weaker in physical combat than the others, but their spellcasting abilities balance that out.

Once your character is created, he or she begins the process of leveling up and exploring the vast Aardwolf universe. The goal, if there is one, is to build the strongest character possible, I suppose. Really, though, the real point is to have fun and kill stuff.

You can find it at aardwolfmud.org:4000 using any MUD client you like, although they prefer ones that use the MCCP compression protocol. Their website is aardwolfmud.org, too, if you want more information.