(Old Norse: "the old accord")

An accord, made in 1262-1264, between the leading men of Iceland and the King of Norway, Håkon IV Håkonsson and his son and successor, Magnus VI Lagabøter. The gamli sáttmali effected the union of Iceland with Norway (and from 1380, with Denmark, through the Kalmar Union).

Internal disputes on Iceland had created civil war-like conditions during the preceding years, which paved the way for the act of union. The Icelandic chieftain Gissur þorvaldsson worked with great enthusiasm for the accord, which made him jarl of Iceland.

Among the provisions of the accord, the Icelanders became liable to taxation by the Norwegian king. In return, the king was to provide the Icelanders with their own code of laws, and guarantee the peace, as well as ensuring regular shipping between Norway and Iceland. Icelanders and Norwegians were to enjoy equal rights in each others' countries, including exemption from having to pay landing fees when sailing to Norway.

The institutions of the Icelandic free state, already venerable, were reorganised, and a new code of laws, the Jónsbók, was issued in 1281.

The accord was renewed in 1302 at the acclamation of King Håkon V Magnusson, still under the name gamli sáttmáli.

Iceland's union with Norway (and after the Treaty of Kiel in 1814, with Denmark) was to last until 1944, when Iceland declared independence.