Camelus bactrianus! That sounds like I made it up.

Phylum: Chordata, Class: Mammalia, Order: Artiodactyla, Suborder: Tylopoda, Family: Camelidae, can I get an amen?

Habitat: This species was once found throughout the dry steppe and semi-desert regions of central Asia, but is currently only found in the Gobi Desert of Mongolia and the dry steppe in northern China.

Height: 6 - 7.5 ft

Length:about 10 ft

Weight: 600 - 1500 lbs.

Lifespan: Some say 25 years, some say as long as 40 - 50 years.

What's He Eat? Grasses, leaves and bushes.

Somewhat Interesting Stuff: The wild Bactrian camel is one of the least studied mammals on earth.

Although currently protected by law, this camel is endangered due to over-hunting, hybridization with domestic camels, and, say it with me, human encroachment on its turf. Scientists are now working in Mongolia studying wild Bactrian camels in an effort to develop management and research programs that will help conserve this species within its native range.

This one's got two humps. When deprived of food for long periods of time, its humps shrink as it utilizes its body fat. A camel may lose up to 25% of its body weight and still function. The humps also act as a radiator to get rid of unwanted body heat. Its temperature may fluctuate from 34º to 41º C, which helps it cope with extreme weather conditions.

Long legs enable it to travel great distances easily. It has the ability to close its eyes and nostrils to keep out blowing sand and dust. It can also store water intercellularly, which allows it to function and do hard work for approximately five days without water. If a Bactrian camel is left without water, it can stand or lie in one place for up to ten days (!) before death occurs.

The Bactrian camel prefers cold weather.