-- WARNING: I might ruin the movie for you. But that's okay, the movie sucked, anyway. --

Okay, I'm sorry. I'm going to have to be the dissenting voice here. To play on the node title, story title, and movie title, I'll have to submit the minority report. I'll put all the movie's little, struggling, contrived plot nonsenses away for this. Anyone who saw what was done to A.I. will understand just how bad movie plots can go when you don't want to be "depressing."

If you are a sci-fi fan, than I would expect you to have at least heard Phillip K. Dick's name. He wrote the novel that Bladerunner was based on. He wrote the short story that Total Recall was based on. As a side note, he was crazy: he thought an advanced alien information system (called VALIS (he wrote a novel about it)) was contacting him on a regular basis. But anyway. Dick's work is mostly dark and scary. He wrote about manipulation of the masses through mass media. He wrote about large, oppressive systems propogating themselves, causing the masses to suffer either physically or by making them non-people.

His short story "Minority Report" follows in Dick's dark, depressing style, but you wouldn't know it from watching Spielberg's piece of crap movie. Okay, that's not totally true. Spielberg did to a good job of keeping the atmosphere dark. In fact, he did a great job. The apartment Anderton visits to have his eyes changed is creepy as hell and those little spider things made my skin crawl. BUT...

...The movie completely removes the two parts of the story that make it a really, really good one. First off, the movie removes the intended conflict. In the movie, it is one man, who is a part of the pre-crime system, against another man, who is also a part of the pre-crime system. One wants control, the other just wants justice. The story, however, pits the system against the people (pre-crime versus a rebel alliance completely left out of the movie). The movie shows an ego versus a hero. The story shows the system versus the people; the powerful versus the inspired.

Second, the movie removes the power of the warning Dick was screaming. Here's where I ruin it. In the short story Dick wrote, the system wins and lives. In the movie, it doesn't. In the story, the main character comes to terms with his desire to keep the system he has helped create-- which is doing a damn good job of stopping murder-- alive. In the story, the main character takes the steps necessary to keep the system alive after finally understanding how much he wants to do so. In the movie his desires are completely opposite.

In the end, I could deal with most of Spielberg's little plot changes. I thought Anderton losing his son was interesting. I thought Anderton being divorced was interesting. I even found the kidnapping of the pre-cog interesting, although it was poorly done in the film. (I couldn't stop laughing during most of the scenes during this part. My friend commented that he wasn't aware the movie was a comedy.) BUT, I could not deal with the reversal of the ending, the removal of the intended conflict, and the hackneyed way Spielberg tried to throw lots of interesting ideas together.

I'm sorry, but Minority Report will not be a classic of the sci-fi genre, and it is not one of Spielberg's better movies. Hell, it's not even a good movie.

Go watch Bladerunner.