Eon is a science fiction novel by Greg Bear. A very interesting and intense read that incorporates many themes, including the complexity of relationships in near-future humans to some rather complex theoretical physics and concepts of infinite timelines.

The book shows good insight into the future of our own race, when those of our near-future meet those of our far-. The book was written in 1985, and as such uses the Cold War as a stepping stone into hostilities on Earth; however, don't let this put you off -- the Earth dealt with could be any permutation of our own, due to the nature of the Stone's travel and time itself.

I hope this has been enough of a taste to convince you to read this great novel; however, if it wasn't, the blurb may convince you a little more:

Above our planet hangs a hollow Stone, vast as the imagination of Man. The inner dimensions are at odds with the outer: there are different chambers to be breached, some containing deserted cities; the furthest contains the greatest mystery ever to confront the Stone's scientists...

But the Stone is not an alien structure. It comes from the future of our humanity. Tombstone or milestone, the war that breaks out on earth beneath its presence seems to bear witness to its prowess as oracle...

--Taken from my copy of Eon, printed 1987.

Next stop, Eternity.