About a week ago I was visiting the Big Department Store. It is not particularly close to where I live but I have a client card and it offers generous discounts for buying things in bulk, particularly the mundane things like non-perishable food and household chemicals. I gathered what I wanted and went to one of the cash registers, expecting random a semi-apathetic 30-40-something lady as usual. As I was standing in the line, I realized that this time the cashier was quite cute: in her late 20s at most; short dark bobbed hair; fine, delicate features, a serious, almost sad look in her eyes. As my turn came, she voice a quiet, emotionless "Good afternoon", and I mumbled something similar as usual.

I went through the usual motions: grab a plastic bag, hand in my client card, stare at the register screen. She asked to move the stuff closer(no conveyor belts at Big Department store cash registers, I can't believe it is a thing in this day and age and such a big store). I complied. As she was processing my things, I tried to just look around, but couldn't help myself and slipped a few looks at her face. Her gaze was constantly locked down as she mechanically handled the items. I realized that she was not only scanning them but also packing them into the plastic bag I picked, carefully making sure everything fits in well. I didn't expect that. I thought I packed my things myself last time I visited the Big Department Store. Or I didn't? Was I just deluding myself that I was getting preferential treatment? Yeah, probably. The time stretched to a standstill. I felt like I could've packed the stuff 3 times by now. Maybe not as neatly as she was doing it, but still... I just wished it to end soon. I was looking around, trying not to seem too nervous. Felt like everyone was looking at me. There was a line behind me. I felt warm, like I was about to start sweating. Finally, she finished packing, I paid and turned around. My eyes met with a burly security guard's. He was staring right at me with, his eyes, only the eyes radiating anger. Or was I just imagining things? I headed for the exit.

Yesterday, I had to go to the Big Department Store again. I had to replace some stuff, including light bulbs and I spent like 40 minutes looking for the right ones. Afterwards, with only 20 minutes left before closing I rushed around the big building, trying to find everything else I had considered grabbing: detergent(couldn't find the brand I wanted), new food thermometer (didn't find), table cloth (old one had gotten too nasty to expect a simple wash to be of help any more), a few bags of dried fruit/nut mix (I was craving for snacks but was trying to watch what I was eating a bit more). In a hurry, I spotted a cash register with only a few customers. As I joined the line, I realized that the cashier was the same one from before. I felt like a stalker, going to the same store and same cashier within same weeks sounded like too much of a coincidence and considered walking away to a different register, but since by that point there was only one person in front of me (a very young looking blonde), I decided that it would seem even more weird to leave at this point. I tried to distract myself, looking around again. They didn't have hematogen in the usual place for candy near the register, where people get baited with the seductive sweets last moment before paying. In the back of the store, there were a few large led screens sold as Christmas decorations, playing some animation with a gigantic snowflake. My efforts were not 100% effective though, I could still hear parts of the conversation between customer and cashier:
"Client card?"
"Yes, let me just..."
I reflexively checked my wallet and took out mine so I don't have to waste the time doing it later.
"I could've sworn I had it."
Pause
"Do you have a client card?"
It took me a second to realize she was talking to me. I looked down at my hand and said "Sure", or "Yes" and handed it to her. It was getting warm again. I tried to get engaged with led screens again.

As it was finally my turn, the cashier asked "Client card?" Was that a hint of irony in her voice? Or is she just going through the mandatory motions? I handed her the card, feeling the warmth increase and proceeded with laying out my stuff. I didn't get a plastic bag this time, since I had a backpack with me. As I was grabbing one of the bags of dried fruit/nut mix, I spotted some of the stuff dropping out of it. There was a hole inside! I paused for a moment and started collecting it. After a few seconds, I looked at the the cashier, bracing myself to ask her for a small bag, but she was already stretching her hand with one, her face still emotionless. I blabbered something akin to "Ah, yes, thank you", then put the torn bag inside, added a few drops of the stuff I managed to gather and proceeded with the remaining motions, trying to ignore the increasing warmth. I think I squeezed out an out of tune "Thanks" before leaving.