Fade is also the name of a book by Robert Cormier (who also wrote The Chocolate War and I am the Cheese.) It's about a boy who can "fade" (turn invisible) and the power it gives him and the grief it causes.

It's a good book. The cover says (paraphrasing), imagine Ellison's The Invisible Man crossed with Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, but I wouldn't go that far. I think Fade is somewhat reminiscent of a good Stephen King book; it's definately got King's sense of psychological drama. Of all of Cormier's books, Fade has the strongest elements of fantasy and science fiction.



A longer plot synopsis (warning: spoilers):

The first part of the book is about Paul, a poor, lonely and sensitive boy growing up during the Depression. He learns from his uncle how to "fade" (disappear). Paul is filled with longing and desire, particularly due to his awakening sexuality, and uses his power to spy on the people around him. What he discovers is that the way people act in public is far different than the way they are in private. This is disillusioning to the naive boy who keeps on promising himself that he'll stop fading. But he can't stop and eventually uses his power to commit a murder.

The second part of the book is about Paul's search for the next-generation fader in his family. He finds it in Ozzie, the illegitimate child of his sister, who was sent away to live in Maine. But whereas Paul was sensitive and shy, Ozzie is angry and disturbed. He hears voices in his head that tell him to commit crimes including arson and murder. So Paul has to go after Ozzie to stop him from his crime spree and, in the final confrontation, Paul has to kill his sick nephew.

I really liked the first part -- it was vivid and engaging and I could empathize with Paul. I didn't like the second part as much -- I thought it was a little trite and disjointed and relied too heavily on action rather than the meaningful character development that Cormier does so well. Still, I think it's well worth one's time.