They'd wake me up in the night growing up in Kansas...they have a manner all their own because there is nothing to stop them here.

The wind would whip up and tap on my bedroom windows like an announcement...an invitation. Then the rumbling of thunder, the blinding shock of lightning, and the melding of the two as the storm got closer until they were one. I'd pad down the hall in my nightdress, praying my mother wouldn't detect me, which she almost always did. On occasion, however, I'd slip under her sensors and out the door...hovering under the porch. My heart would quicken - the smell of ozone making me draw a deep breath - and in my gooseflesh I'd delight in the rage and chaos of the storm. I would fantasize that I was all alone, braving the elements...

I am Karana fighting the devilfish from the Island of the Blue Dolphins - I am Tenar struggling in the darkness from the Tombs of Atuan - I am Pipi Longstocking at sea! I am brave! I am fierce! Nothing scares me...the waist-length tendrils of my stick-straight hair swarm around my face like the Gorgon...I can turn men to stone.

I am electrified. My bones reverberate with a new timbre.

When it passes, I sneak back inside, exhausted and strangely calmed.

Is is any wonder I find storms incredibly erotic?