Believing war to be a crime against humanity, the War Resisters League, founded in 1923, advocates Gandhian nonviolence as the method for creating a democratic society free of war, racism, sexism, and human exploitation.


From their website (http://www.nonviolence.org/wrl/) :

WRL was organized in 1923 by men and women who had opposed WWI, many of whom had been jailed for refusing military service. The founders, including Jessie Wallace Hughan, leading suffragette, socialist, and pacifist, believed that if enough people stood in total opposition to war, governments would hesitate to go to war.

During WWII hundreds of members were imprisoned in the US for refusing to fight. The League was radicalized when these resisters left prison after the war. Not only had the prison experience deepened their thinking, but League members were impressed by the drama of Gandhi's nonviolent struggle for India's liberation.

In the 1950s WRL members worked in the Civil Rights movement, in opposition to nuclear testing and "Civil Defense," and helped launch Liberation magazine. In the 1960s the League was the first peace group to call for US withdrawal from Vietnam and played a key role throughout the war-organizing the burning of draft cards, rallies, civil disobedience at induction centers, and assisting resisters.


They are still very active today and have been a driving force in many movements.