Seriously, people, can't we learn to accept others? David Brent hates racism. And even if it's not exactly racist, it would be much easier to play The Office on American television, or just get people to buy the DVD from BBC Home Video than deal with the NBC remake starring Steve Carell as Michael Scott. They don't agree, of course, and the result is just that, executive produced by original creators Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.

The Office copies the original show's documentary-style footage of the daily life in a paper manufacturer's office. Idiot savant boss Michael Scott wanders around, under the impression that he's funny, making life miserable for those around him and generally making himself look more and more like an insensitive imbecile. Worker Jim is constantly harassed by his desk-neighbor Dwight and desperately in love with receptionist Pam, while the other, lowlier co-workers, including temp worker Ryan, endure other forms of indirect humiliation.

The cast includes Rainn Wilson as Dwight (aka Gareth), John Krasinski as Jim (Tim), Jenna Fischer as Pam Beesley (Dawn), and B.J. Novak as Ryan (Ricky). Most of the problems with the cast come from comparison to the original. Jenna Fischer is the only real strong performer -- Rainn Wilson as Dwight, even in some of the better moments, is a pale shadow of Gareth, and B.J. Novak is unmemorable. Krasinski is the worst, not only because Martin Freeman's Tim was probably the best character on the entire original show, through flawless performance and great writing, but Krasinski just doesn't try very hard. His character is a run-of-the-mill smartass, and his interest in Pam isn't particularly sweet.

Carell is actually pretty funny as Michael Scott, and "The Office" US Version (originally the show contained the awful subtitle "An American Workplace") definitely improves when it's using original material, but the show lacks many of the layers and genius Gervais and Merchant brought to the British incarnation. And in general, the simple question nags: why couldn't these people just have done their own show?

In any case, it's been picked up for a second season by NBC. So I guess we'll see what happens...