Every time that I visit Disneyland the place is packed to the gills. With so many people there, the lines for all of the rides are extremely long, even It's a small world. I'm not sure about the rest of you but the fact that I'm stuck in a line with people that will annoy you is, well, annoying.

So when is the best time to go? Simple, go when the weather isn't all that great, if you can handle it. The best time seems to be when it is raining. Rain, in Southern California?? Impossible you say. It does happen during the winter and the early spring.

Why is this the best time to go? Because a large amount of the families will leave once the little kids get soaked. Presto, about a quarter to a half of the people will leave the park. The last time I was at the park during the rain, I was about to get on Space Mountain four times in about 25 minutes. It took almost as much time to run through the queue as the ride lasted.

What can you expect when the park emptys out? Big puddles, seeing people walking around wearing garbage bags, sitting down in a seat that is already wet, and the smell of wet clothing anytime you are in an enclosed space.

So check the weather forecast for Anaheim, California when you are planning to go or go when it looks like rain. Remember to bring appropriate clothing. It is a good idea to bring at least one umbrella and some rain gear. Bring a jacket for everybody in your party as it can get cold in the evening.

Pro's:

  • Reduced people in the park
  • Some rides are more fun in the rain, especially the Jungle Cruise

Con's:

  • Walking around the park with wet clothing
  • Paying the high price for rain gear if you didn't bring your own
  • Some rides might close early
  • No fireworks, maybe

Rides that might close if the rain is not expected to clear up.

  • Critter Country
    • Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
  • Frontierland
    • Tom Sawyer's Island
  • Tomorrowland
    • Autopia
    • Astro Orbitor
  • Fantasyland
    • Casey Jr. Circus Train
    • Storybook Land Canal Boats
    • Mad Tea Party
    • Dumbo the Flying Elephant
  • Adventureland
    • Tarzan's Tree House
  • Mickey's Toon Town
    • Gadget's Go Coaster
These tips might work at other parks, but YMMV.