De*mise" (?), n. [F. d'emettre, p. p. d'emis, d'emise, to put away, lay down; pref. d'e- (L. de or dis-) + mettre to put, place, lay, fr. L. mittere to send. See Mission, and cf. Dismiss, Demit.]

1.

Transmission by formal act or conveyance to an heir or successor; transference; especially, the transfer or transmission of the crown or royal authority to a successor.

2.

The decease of a royal or princely person; hence, also, the death of any illustrious person.

After the demise of the Queen [of George II.], in 1737, they [drawing-rooms] were held but twice a week. P. Cunningham.

3. Law

The conveyance or transfer of an estate, either in fee for life or for years, most commonly the latter.

Bouvier.

⇒ The demise of the crown is a transfer of the crown, royal authority, or kingdom, to a successor. Thus, when Edward IV. was driven from his throne for a few months by the house of Lancaster, this temporary transfer of his dignity was called a demise. Thus the natural death of a king or queen came to be denominated a demise, as by that event the crown is transferred to a successor.

Blackstone.

Demise and redemise, a conveyance where there are mutual leases made from one to another of the same land, or something out of it.

Syn. -- Death; decease; departure. See Death.

 

© Webster 1913.


De*mise", v. t. [imp. & p. p. Demised (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Demising.]

1.

To transfer or transmit by succession or inheritance; to grant or bestow by will; to bequeath.

"Power to demise my lands."

Swift.

What honor Canst thou demise to any child of mine? Shak.

2.

To convey; to give.

[R.]

His soul is at his conception demised to him. Hammond.

3. Law

To convey, as an estate, be lease; to lease.

 

© Webster 1913.