Ice shove, AKA shoreline ice pileup, or in Inupiat, ivu, is a phenomenon in which ice sheets forming on top of a body of water are pushed ashore by the wind; given a steady formation of new ice and a strong, ongoing wind, the ice can form large piles creeping in from the shore, piling up over 10 feet high and moving dozens of feet over the land.

In the Americas significant ice shove is occasionally seen around the Great Lakes, in parts of New England, and in Canada/Alaska. In extreme cases ice shove has caused significant damage to homes and roads near the water, but for the most part it simply looks like a snow drift of chunky, broken ice along the shore. However, a fast moving flow (about the speed of a leisurely walk) is a preternatural sight, as the ice grumbles and clunks steadily over the land.

Ice shove is fairly simple; large, thin sheets of ice pushed by the wind over the surface of water can move fairly quickly, having very low friction with the water. As the flow encounters the shore, the leading edge is pushed up over the land -- generally shattering in the process -- by the mass of ice pushing in behind it. Ice being fairly slippery, it can continue to travel onward and upward over the previously beached ice for as long as there is more ice sheet and wind providing motive force.

For the most part ice shove is a temporary and low impact event, and is not a significant weathering event, although it is not something you want to see coming towards your home. A form of ice shove, involving very thin sheets of ice on very shallow pools, has been shown to be the cause of movement for the Sailing Stones of Death Valley.