Every year the First Amendment Center does a survey to determine the views of the general public that are related to First Amendment freedoms. Here's some results from this year:

  • 81% said that, if the majority favored it, prayer at high school graduation is OK.

  • 64% feel students should be allowed to lead prayers at school-sponsored events.

  • 61% think schools should be allowed to post the Ten Commandments. (But which version?)

  • 56% felt that the Bible should be taught as factual text in history and/or Social Studies.

  • 67% think that public comments that are offensive to racial groups should not be allowed.

  • 53% think that public comments that are offensive to religious groups should not be allowed. (But would they apply that to minority groups like Wicca or Satanism?)

  • 51% said that art that is considered offensive by some members of the community should not be allowed.

  • 40% feel that musiciains shouldn't be allowed to sing offensive songs in public.

  • 51% of people feel that the press has "too much freedom".

  • 55% think that a school newspaper needs faculty approval for controversial stories.

  • 20% of people think that the government should be allowed to approve what stories newspapers run. (That's 1 in 5 people, folks, that want to see the government censoring the news.)

  • 67% of agreed that broadcasters should be allowed to televise U.S. Supreme Court proceedings.

  • 70% believe TV networks should not project election winners until all the polls close. (Do they really mean should not, or should not be allowed to?)

  • 83% percent think TV violence contributes to real-life violence

  • 74% think video games do the same.

  • 72% place some blame on music lyrics.

  • 58% would severely restrict Internet content dealing with bomb-making information and sexually explicit material.

  • One-third believes that public libraries should block everyone's access to potentially offensive Web sites.

  • 51% actually oppose a flag burning amendment, the first time there's been a majority against it.

  • 37% of people polled could not even name one of the five freedoms guaranteed in the first amendment. (Can you support a freedom if you don't know we're supposed to have it?)