“Blows of your blade upon your opponent’s weapon—whether light or heavy—with a view of deflecting his point or opening a way for the thrust, are called Beats. They can be applied, in one way or another, from any position and against almost any position of your opponent, and are of extreme importance in the practise of the assault.”

--From The Art of the Foil, by Luigi Barbasetti


Bollocks. Beats are nearly useless.

Over and over again, one of the most common mistakes I see beginning fencers make is to overuse the beat. Barbasetti’s classical definition above is antiquated, as it is much more applicable to fencing as martial art then to fencing as sport. In reality, a beat does nothing to deflect your opponent’s point, nor does it open a way for the thrust. The only thing a beat is good for is to surprise your opponent.

Modern weapons are so light—even the epee—that unless you wind up and swing as hard as you can, you can’t generate the momentum you need to actually deflect your opponent’s point or blade any meaningful distance. Moreover, even if you did deflect your opponent’s blade, you’ve also deflected your blade from your original line to execute the beat, so you haven’t really gained any ground. (If you really want to get your opponent’s blade out of the way you’re going to do a bind or a prise de fer, which are whole different bags of worms.)

Plus, with the present right-of-way rules, a beat is meaningless—it doesn’t exist. The only thing that grants you right-of-way is the extension of your arm. Taking your opponent’s blade does not give you any material advantage as far as determining the priority of your attack.

Furthermore, when you beat you’ve pretty much just telegraphed your attack. You’ve done something substantial to let you opponent know that an attack is forthcoming—unless you just do nothing after the beat, in which case making the beat was a waste of time in the first place. Advancing without beating, while aggressive, leaves your opponent in a much worse position as far as determining when your final action is going to commence.

Assuming that the beat isn’t used frequently, however, beating can serve as a good way to momentarily “stun” your opponent. Consider: You attack ten times, varying your tempo and lines but never beating. Then, on the eleventh attack, you beat for the first time in the match. Perhaps it will accomplish nothing, but perhaps your opponent will be surprised and confused enough at your change in tactics enough to momentarily drop his guard and allow you to score an easy touch. That is how I employ the beat, and in my opinion the only time to ever do so.